Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I don't know of "everything fell apart", but you may be alluding to something I know nothing of.

WInd is unreliable. However, I helped someone build a series of turbines for his house out of old sheet metal, wire and harddrives that could put out 10kw FREE. It is CHEEP! (If I had a choice, we would've used old motors, but I didn't even get to see it finished. Just helped an old guy out for a day while I was in highschool.

Your solar numbers are old. It is now approx. $50/MW. The price is falling.
http://www.businessinsider.com/solar-power-cost-decrease-2018-5

I do not think any one thing will save us, and I don't think it'll be easy, but it is DOABLE.
Using geothermal heat, a wood furnace, a fan and a funnel to heat/cool your house, cutting down on countless little losses you have around the house, using lead acid batteries or hydrogen to store power, all these little things can add up to the point in which you rarely need to use fossil feuls in your life. That is enough.

If you haven't the credit or cash for panels, maybe it's not good for you, but that doesn't mean it's not feasible for many, or that there aren't things that could help you. Even a lone 100w panel maybe could put a dent in your bill, or maybe you could boost your insulation.
I got a working 150w someone threw out for some reason that I can't figure out what to do with LOL. (inverters are expensive.)
Also would like to add that the Heartland Institute is funded by Fossil Fuel companies
Wikipedia said:
The Institute no longer discloses its funding sources, stating that it had ended its practice of donor transparency after experiencing the organized harassment of its donors.[112] According to its brochures, Heartland receives money from approximately 5,000 individuals and organizations, and no single corporate entity donates more than 5% of the operating budget,[113] although the figure for individual donors can be much higher, with a single anonymous donor providing $4.6 million in 2008, and $979,000 in 2011, accounting for 20% of Heartland's overall budget, according to reports of a leaked fundraising plan.[114] Heartland states that it does not accept government funds and does not conduct contract research for special-interest groups.[115]

Oil and gas companies have contributed to the Institute, including $736,500 from ExxonMobil between 1998 and 2005.[82][116] Greenpeace reported that Heartland received almost $800,000 from ExxonMobil.[53] In 2008, ExxonMobil said that it would stop funding to groups skeptical of climate warming, including Heartland.[116][117][118][not in citation given] Joseph Bast, president of the Institute, argued that ExxonMobil was simply distancing itself from Heartland out of concern for its public image.[116]

The Institute has also received funding and support from tobacco companies Philip Morris,[3]:234 Altria and Reynolds American, and pharmaceutical industry firms GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer and Eli Lilly.[114] State Farm Insurance, USAA and Diageo are former supporters.[119] The Independent reported that Heartland's receipt of donations from Exxon and Philip Morris indicates a "direct link...between anti-global warming sceptics funded by the oil industry and the opponents of the scientific evidence showing that passive smoking can damage people's health."[58] The Institute opposes legislation on passive smoking as infringing on personal liberty and the rights of owners of bars and other establishments.[120]

Reactions: J. H.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Some conspiracy nonesens but it's what I believe :
Big corps are holding solar back. I almost went through with it. Not sure about DE but in NYC no connection to battery backup. So your still connected to the grid. The price is high but cheaper than electric company. BUT still too high to be feasible on a large scale. Breaking down the lease it was something like 17 cents per kwh

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Hello J. H.; The payback on solar panels in part depended on being able to sell some of the excess electricity back to the power companies. It is my understanding now that power companies in some states have used their considerable influence and folks can no longer sell their excess power back to the grid.
On electric cars. many states have or are in the process of finding ways to charge fees to owners of electric cars. Partly because they do not pay state and federal gas taxes. The reasoning being that electric cars use the roads and are avoiding their share of the cost.

I had to register my car and truck back in May here in TN. I seem to recall that while for a car or truck it was about $75. For electric cars I think it is now $200.
Did not know that you can't sell your power back to the grid in some states. I can see that being an issue. Maybe you could sell it directly to your neighbors?
Hello J. H.: take a look at this link.
May I suggest a focus on the bits about population; about energy production and consumption; about water; about hunger.

http://www.worldometers.info/
They are called the Nitrogen and water cycles for a reason. The trick is to make 'em spin around faster. That's where modern filtration and and aquaponics come in. It's kind of lik, today we eat food/use water and then release back into the environment for years before regathering the water/nitrogen by farming or water treatment. The trick is to speed the cycle. You can eat the same food twice in a a few months in a carefully built recycling system. Aquaponics also use a fraction of the land of traditional farms.
https://offgridworld.com/1-million-pounds-of-food-on-3-acres-of-land/
https://offgridworld.com/1-million-...eld-solar-powered-vertical-aquaponics-system/
#1 is an existing system.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
They are called the Nitrogen and water cycles for a reason.
Hello; I begin to see that you have incomplete knowledge about the natural cycles of the world.
I do not wish to go into a lot of detail which might take many pages.
Lets take one example for water. Under several mid-west states is a giant aquifer. I think it called the ogilalla (sp). It apparently took many thousands of years ( maybe tens of thousands of years) for the rain water to trickle down into this large underground reservoir.
Some decades ago farmers developed what is called center pivot irrigation. That is where a well is drilled and at the well head a strong pump is attached powered by in some cases a V-8 engine. The pump sends water out thru pipes for hundreds of feet on a scaffold like structure on wheels. The whole water system pivots around in a large circle. This has allowed for the productive cultivation of some less desirable land and a big increase in the yields for many decades.
Years ago the early shallow wells began to go dry. The farmers had to go deeper. Then the deeper wells began to go dry. It is my understanding they are using up the aquifer at a rate many , many times the rate it can be naturally replenished. Bear in mind this is a part of the American bread basket and has been a big part of the world's supply of food. That aquifer will eventually go dry and the land will then only be able to produce food based on annual rainfall.

Reactions: imabot

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
We can not wave away their decisions because of their personal political beliefs..
Yes we can when they make such decision BECAUSE of their political beliefs. That is a NO NO

What does "the original racists" mean? Sure, Democrats like Jackson were racists. But modern day democrats are nowhere close to Jacksonians. Democrats are Democrats because of their set of principles not because of a label. D'Souza operates on the assumption that Democrats are Democrats because of a tribe loyalty and that they don't think stuff like genocide are bad things.

So he admitted that he knew what he did was wrong and illegal. Should he have been let to go free because there are people who get away with it? Your assertions that he was being punished for his Obama movies is not backed up by any evidence. The law applies equally.
I like the parts where he talks about how the voting for the cival rights bill bill broke down or the abolishmemt of slavery or the KKK stuff

His books and movies are Chuck full of easily searchable facts you just don't like those facts.

Its backed up by the fact he went to jail and most weren't even charged some paid fines. The man admitted it and thought it was a mistake. Thought that he would have been fined like others. So the law applies equelly ?
If you can't see his movies playing a role then I will pray for you tonight.

So are you saying you think oshama SHOULDNT have gotten the award ?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Hello; I begin to see that you have incomplete knowledge about the natural cycles of the world.
I do not wish to go into a lot of detail which might take many pages.
Lets take one example for water. Under several mid-west states is a giant aquifer. I think it called the ogilalla (sp). It apparently took many thousands of years ( maybe tens of thousands of years) for the rain water to trickle down into this large underground reservoir.
Some decades ago farmers developed what is called center pivot irrigation. That is where a well is drilled and at the well head a strong pump is attached powered by in some cases a V-8 engine. The pump sends water out thru pipes for hundreds of feet on a scaffold like structure on wheels. The whole water system pivots around in a large circle. This has allowed for the productive cultivation of some less desirable land and a big increase in the yields for many decades.
Years ago the early shallow wells began to go dry. The farmers had to go deeper. Then the deeper wells began to go dry. It is my understanding they are using up the aquifer at a rate many , many times the rate it can be naturally replenished. Bear in mind this is a part of the American bread basket and has been a big part of the world's supply of food. That aquifer will eventually go dry and the land will then only be able to produce food based on annual rainfall.
Yes, the current methods of farming in the Midwest, and just about everywhere else will die. Maybe even all the wheat and corn farms will die and we will eat taro and potato and lilyroot instead. My point is they will be replaced with methods that are far more productive.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hello; It is not necessarily going to be that all people will be gone, I hope that maybe we get only a 50% die off of people. Could be a higher % depending on how some things play out.
Not very clear how extensive the current ongoing extinction event will turn out to be.
My bet is from about 5/6 to 6/7 of the people will die, there will be massive breakdowns in transportation, so anything that needs transport is gonna be hard to come by, things like food,meds,clean water etc,also keep in mind anything that can't run on its own without supervision will go out, such as power plants, if a disease/plague gets going it'll spread like wildfire thru a haybarn, and with large populations and failures in disease containment systems it will be nasty, so even if you think your prepared there is no guarantee of survival, so one should get right with the lord above.

Furthermore beyond war there will be a lot of infighting and corruption which will only make things worse, of course there will also be people taking advantage of people's fears and spreading lies,hate and propoganda

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yes, the current methods of farming in the Midwest, and just about everywhere else will die. Maybe even all the wheat and corn farms will die and we will eat taro and potato and lilyroot instead. My point is they will be replaced with methods that are far more productive.
Exactly, all this waste to grow corn, which you really can't digest well,also this trend of growing all of one thing at a time leaves plants open to species and even variant-specific pest

Reactions: skjl47

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Yes we can when they make such decision BECAUSE of their political beliefs. That is a NO NO

I like the parts where he talks about how the voting for the cival rights bill bill broke down or the abolishmemt of slavery or the KKK stuff

His books and movies are Chuck full of easily searchable facts you just don't like those facts.

Its backed up by the fact he went to jail and most weren't even charged some paid fines. The man admitted it and thought it was a mistake. Thought that he would have been fined like others. So the law applies equelly ?
If you can't see his movies playing a role then I will pray for you tonight.

So are you saying you think oshama SHOULDNT have gotten the award ?
You would have to have a lot of proof to demonstrate bias because of political beliefs.

What I don't like about his various works is that he doesn't understand or is pretending not to the fact that the political beliefs of a party can and will shift over time. It is unfair and dishonest to draw a parallel between modern democrats and democrats from over a century ago like Wilson and Jackson. He ignores the southern strategy used by the republicans and in general the last half century.

He didn't go to jail by the way, he went to a half way house for 8 months near his home, got a 30k fine, and was on probation for 5 years until he got pardoned among others like Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby by Trump.

Nope, I think there were better people then Obama for the Peace prize.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store