ELECTRIC CATFISH

aes1687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Hi all, was wondering if there’s anybody out there who keep electric catfish. Do they need to be kept alone? Mine is currently in a community tank with a bunch of parrotfish. Got him at 2 inches , two and a half years ago and now he’s pushing 12 inches. Heard they have to be kept alone but no casualties from years I had with mine. What are your experiences?

973C4E91-CD3F-44B4-BB48-D5052BAEA709.jpeg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Can't help.you but I'd like to see more pics.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Lol he looks terrifying, good luck with him pal

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Don't make him angry, if they get angry you could lose other fish from the electric surge,other than that they are pretty good.
Intolerant of poor water conditions but otherwise hardy

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Man use to keep these guys all the time. Awesome cat to get small and grow. Once they hit the 12inch mark they got plenty of shock to mess certain size fish up. Had one shock a few and mess them up for awhile but eventually they would get back to normal. I’d always sell them off at the 14inch mark cause I didn’t want to see it kill my other fish. I always kept them well fed to. I think the shocking of the fish would be due to fighting over hiding spots.

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Hello, I am thinking about getting an electric cat because I saw one at my lfs. I have done some research but got mixed results. First off, can I keep it with a Lima shovelnose cat and 2 large needle nose gars (I know they are not really gars)? Also, any suggestions for care and tips and tricks? Finally, how do you clean and maintain the tank without getting shocked?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I am thinking about getting an electric cat because I saw one at my lfs. I have done some research but got mixed results. First off, can I keep it with a Lima shovelnose cat and 2 large needle nose gars (I know they are not really gars)? Also, any suggestions for care and tips and tricks? Finally, how do you clean and maintain the tank without getting shocked?
Welcome aboard
Kept very small ones once many years ago but they died in a short time due to my inexperienced fish keeping at that time. Hope the link helpshttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/electric-catfish-tankmates.702729/page-2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store