B.Fila?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Fila spots are supposed to be smaller than their eye I believe. Not sure if it's cause the specimen is still so small but I'd say fila

Reactions: IsaacHZJ

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Disclaimer: Not sure if this is recommended at all due to the risk of disease from live fish, etc...But,
When I was traveling in the Peruvian Amazon, many fishermen keep several Brachyplatystoma species in tanks when they are quite small 1.5-3 inches in order to grow them up to optimal shipping sizes. To feed the fish, they simply keep a handful of small livebearers (1/4-3/4 inch) in each tank...they are locally abundant and apparently closely mimic the diet of juvenile brachies in the wild.

IsaacHZJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2016
Disclaimer: Not sure if this is recommended at all due to the risk of disease from live fish, etc...But,
When I was traveling in the Peruvian Amazon, many fishermen keep several Brachyplatystoma species in tanks when they are quite small 1.5-3 inches in order to grow them up to optimal shipping sizes. To feed the fish, they simply keep a handful of small livebearers (1/4-3/4 inch) in each tank...they are locally abundant and apparently closely mimic the diet of juvenile brachies in the wild.
I tried putting some guppies with it. But the guppies ended up biting its long barbels.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Yes, that's a fila, barbels too long for capa. For that size, feed with bloodworms. After they reach 3"-4", can change to thawed fish or simply live feeders. Mine takes pellets until full stomach once a week because every other day he refuse to eat em.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
FWIW barbels may not be a reliable sign. Intact capa maxillary barbels have been reported to be 3x-4x of the body length. Fila's are a bit longer, 5x-6x. We are talking baby fish. When adults, the x factor diminishes.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store