Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Seriously? You can't just grab a bunch of people and start declaring things illegal, for example let's say Alex invites 100 random people over in Somewhere, Idaho he and his buddies make a law proclaiming that the democratic republic of the Congo can't have rocks, they proclaim rocks illegal there, they can proclaim it all they want, but it still will not have any authority.

The ICJ is made up of 15 judges elected by General Assembly and Security Council for terms of 9 years. Doesn't sound like random people does it?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You literally compared setting up settlements in another country being declared illegal to banning rocks. Courts/Judges determine the legality of cases by looking at precedents among other things.
Still not the point, keep guessing

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
yes yes . ok, lets go ahead and post what it is from the CDC.

Prion diseases or transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) are a family of rare progressive neurodegenerative disorders that affect both humans and animals. They are distinguished by long incubation periods, characteristic spongiform changes associated with neuronal loss, and a failure to induce inflammatory response.

The causative agents of TSEs are believed to be prions. The term “prions” refers to abnormal, pathogenic agents that are transmissible and are able to induce abnormal folding of specific normal cellular proteins called prion proteins that are found most abundantly in the brain. The functions of these normal prion proteins are still not completely understood. The abnormal folding of the prion proteins leads to brain damage and the characteristic signs and symptoms of the disease. Prion diseases are usually rapidly progressive and always fatal.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Being a Sovereign Nation doesn't give you a free ticket to do whatever you want.
Good point and one on which most people would agree. It would be better of course had I actually said or implied that sovereign nations can do whatever they want, since now, it sort of looks like a straw man.

I'm not sure what not having enforcement has to do with legality.
Easy. Unenforceable or worse yet, unenforced laws are not laws at all. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unenforced_law or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unenforceable

UN declarations of what is legal or illegal has as much meaning as Argentina telling Mongolia what the legal age of drinking should be by law.

The ICJ (international court of Justice) has ruled Israel's actions illegal several times.
Again. As relevant as Minnesota declaring Israel's actions illegal. It's a political statement, not a statement that has any relevance to actual law.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Whataboutism.
I'm not sure that is relevant to my point.

I wasn't claiming it was okay for Israel do what it was doing because other people do it, which is called hypocrisy. Nor was I claiming that it was okay because in general, other people also do bad things.

I used that example to show that the UN has an unenforceable law which it doesn't intend to enforce. It simple repeats it's pronouncements periodically to make sure everyone knows they think it's not just illegal, but really, really illegal.

The fact that the ICJ or the UN doesn't make these pronouncements for many other countries is simply due to their recognition that the vast majority of the world doesn't really care what they have to say. (League of Nations: same issue.) That is the plainest example of an unenforced or unenforceable law, which is to say, a political statement, and not a law at all.

And also...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_court

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
example of an unenforced or unenforceable law, which is to say, no law at all.
hello; I had to work with such as classroom teacher. The school board along with the central office staff would write up handbooks full of rules. I will use attendance and tardiness as an example. Miss so many days and the grades, privileges (playing sports for example) will be punished in some specific way.
So I keep attendance records very carefully and cut according to the rules. The parents complain and the punishment goes away. Sometimes the written punishment is ignored before any parent makes a complaint.
Do not make a rule that you do not or cannot enforce.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store