White spots fin rot or ich on angelfish?

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
196F3796-9C57-4C5F-B32A-8806B90EB579.jpeg 09B66413-EBF8-458C-A0C7-68E9405BE1F1.jpeg Okay hello guys I’m new to aquarium keeping, these forums, and I picked up a 75gallon tank and I have stocked it with 2 angelfish, 3 cory catfish, and 2 silver fox fish so far. I have only had the tank for 2 months now

I have been changing the water to about 50% water change every two weeks, but I think I need to do it every week about 30% for comfort....

Anyway so I just did a big 50% water change, added the appropriate stress coat+ and ammonia lock just in case I had ammonia...I tested the ammonia and had 0.2 before the water change...but after I changed the water and got it all filled back up I noticed my angel fish had white spots on his back tail fin?! I’m not sure If it’s Ich or tail rot or idk but I dont know what to do or how I would treat this? Any thing helps thank you!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1341015 View attachment 1341014 Okay hello guys I’m new to aquarium keeping, these forums, and I picked up a 75gallon tank and I have stocked it with 2 angelfish, 3 cory catfish, and 2 silver fox fish so far. I have only had the tank for 2 months now

I have been changing the water to about 50% water change every two weeks, but I think I need to do it every week about 30% for comfort....

Anyway so I just did a big 50% water change, added the appropriate stress coat+ and ammonia lock just in case I had ammonia...I tested the ammonia and had 0.2 before the water change...but after I changed the water and got it all filled back up I noticed my angel fish had white spots on his back tail fin?! I’m not sure If it’s Ich or tail rot or idk but I dont know what to do or how I would treat this? Any thing helps thank you!

Welcome aboard

It's hard to ID if it's ich from the pic. Ich will normally look like grains of salt over the entire body of the fish. If you notice it spreading then it will be Ich. The cure for Ich non medication is salt and heat. You will need to purchase Dechlorinator for your tap water to remove chlorine. I believe your aquarium is not cycled because stress coat does not remove chlorine. I suggest 50% water change a week.

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
I haven’t read the link yet, but thanks for the info!! and the stress coat I have is from API and it says it removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals to make tap water safe for fish, should I purchase other stuff besides that? Those are the only 2 chemicals I have been putting in my water during water changes

Reactions: tlindsey

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
Okay so Cycling the tank is making sure it has all its beneficial bacteria correct? If I’m understanding correctly, but anyway how would I go about knowing if it has cycled or go about cycling it since it has been filled for about 2 months and I already have fish in there? And thanks again for the info...I remember reading about cycling a little bit, but not much, and once I got the tank I completely forgot about it

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay so Cycling the tank is making sure it has all its beneficial bacteria correct? If I’m understanding correctly, but anyway how would I go about knowing if it has cycled or go about cycling it since it has been filled for about 2 months and I already have fish in there? And thanks again for the info...I remember reading about cycling a little bit, but not much, and once I got the tank I completely forgot about it

Yes the beneficial bacteria feeds off ammonia which converts into nitrite and end result conveys into nitrate which is harmless at low levels. I apologize for the statement about the stress coat. If it removes chlorine and chloramine that's great.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
from API and it says it removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals to make tap water safe for fish, should I purchase other stuff besides that?
Hello; The water treatment chemicals we use during a water change (WC) is meant to condition tap water so the chemicals in tap water are no longer harmful. These are commonly chlorine and chloramine in some tap water.
The tank cycle is a different sort of thing.

knowing if it has cycled or go about cycling it since it has been filled for about 2 months and I already have fish in there?
hello; A way to know if the tank is cycled is to use a test kit to check water parameters. Generally the presence of ammonia is an indicator that a tank is not fully cycled. Two months is enough time to get a cycle done so your tank may either have some issues or your test kit is not giving accurate readings. Are you using a liquid test kit of the test strips?
A cycled tank can have some ammonia readings due to some sudden change in tank conditions. One such change can be adding a lot of new fish or one new big fish. This is called a "mini cycle".
I strongly suggest you read the link about "cycling."

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
Okay thank you for the info on cycling the tank, I’m using the test strips to check, I will have to purchase the liquid one to be sure, I hear that’s the more accurate one right? or I might as well invest inthe master test kit to be sure of all the parameters of my water...but does anybody have an idea on the white spots on my fish? not sure if it’s serious or not I mean the fish is acting normal, but i think I’m going to change my water 50% every week and monitor it to be sure the spots are not spreading...could it be fin rot? I know the fins on both of my angels look kind of rough...

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
2A118C54-E041-4066-975C-2BD451EB15E9.jpeg Are these fins okay? Sorry about asking a lot of questions lol just I read up about different health issues and diseases fish can have and this is my first encounter with something like this

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1341033 Are these fins okay? Sorry about asking a lot of questions lol just I read up about different health issues and diseases fish can have and this is my first encounter with something like this

Ask as many questions if necessary no problems. The fins look fine with the exception of the tail fin you stated earlier on the gold looking Angelfish.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store