White spots fin rot or ich on angelfish?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If it is indeed ich (ick), then in a short time the fish will have a lot more spots. It will look like salt has been shakin on the fish. Should show up on the dark areas of the fish body and on the clear fins. Talking just a few days for lots of new spots.

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
Hello; If it is indeed ich (ick), then in a short time the fish will have a lot more spots. It will look like salt has been shakin on the fish. Should show up on the dark areas of the fish body and on the clear fins. Talking just a few days for lots of new spots.
Okay so i’ll Monitor the fish and see if more spots come in, and if more spots do come in do I just purchase some kind of ick treatment? As I’m assuming if one fish has it, it’s already thriving in my tank, and how would I be sure it’s gone from my tank?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Okay so i’ll Monitor the fish and see if more spots come in, and if more spots do come in do I just purchase some kind of ick treatment? As I’m assuming if one fish has it, it’s already thriving in my tank, and how would I be sure it’s gone from my tank?
Hello; first there are many threads about ick. do a search. I think there is also a sticky.
yes if one fish has the parasite them the tank is infested.
salt is the more suggested chemical treatment. raise the temp to 86 degrees F or higher and add the total dose of salt. Do WC but replace salt to keep the solution at strength. Keep the salt levels at proper level for at least ten days after the last visible ick spot is seen on a fish.

If you choose some other ick treatment do not use salt. In fact do not use more than one ick treatment at any one time. There is more to the treatment of ick than what I have just written.

Reactions: tlindsey

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Are you sure that Angel didn’t already have those before the water change or possibly even when you bought it? Due to their long fins, they can get breaks in their fins from injuries which can leave scar tissue that looks like those little white bumps on the tail. It’s cosmetically unsightly but not something to worry about. If it’s ich, it’ll spread, if it’s fungus...then it might get fuzzy or there should be some bloody streaks near that area of the tail as well. He may even start having a harder time breathing as the bacteria takes hold. It’s hard to tell from the pics but I’d guess those spots are from old injuries. Also, you need to read up on ich, nitrogen cycle, get a test kit, etc...that’s all basic fish keeping knowledge you need to study up on. A short synopsis from forum members isn’t enough

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
B93A69F6-FD0D-46DF-98E3-CFDE561AFA0E.jpeg Well I only have one picture of when I got the angelfish, and I don’t believe seeing these spots until right after the water change, I read somewhere of somebody having a similar issue and it was scar tissue on their fish’s fins, and I thank you for your input on this...but I also understand those are common things I should know, and will know when I get to reading up on these kinds of things...we were all new to this hobby at one point and weren’t experts from day 1, it’s a whole learning process, and a lot more than just add water and fish...I came here to get some help and opinions on what I should do, rather than just let my tank go to crap I came here to learn what to do, I’m not just taking every bodies advice as that’s it...like one person pointed out the salt and heat method, so I researched that and am prepared to do just that if I need to, I also learned why this salt and heat method works by reading up on it, but anyway I’m glad something like this happened while I am new so i’ll know what to do for a future problem and the learning experience I have got from this little set back.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
...I came here to get some help and opinions on what I should do,
I’m not just taking every bodies advice as that’s it...
HELLO; You will get a variety of opinions about some subjects. For new fishkeepers this internet resource is daunting in that you will have to pick and choose among opposing opinions.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
View attachment 1341244 Well I only have one picture of when I got the angelfish, and I don’t believe seeing these spots until right after the water change, I read somewhere of somebody having a similar issue and it was scar tissue on their fish’s fins, and I thank you for your input on this...but I also understand those are common things I should know, and will know when I get to reading up on these kinds of things...we were all new to this hobby at one point and weren’t experts from day 1, it’s a whole learning process, and a lot more than just add water and fish...I came here to get some help and opinions on what I should do, rather than just let my tank go to crap I came here to learn what to do, I’m not just taking every bodies advice as that’s it...like one person pointed out the salt and heat method, so I researched that and am prepared to do just that if I need to, I also learned why this salt and heat method works by reading up on it, but anyway I’m glad something like this happened while I am new so i’ll know what to do for a future problem and the learning experience I have got from this little set back.

No worries...ask all you want. No offense intended. It was a suggestion that you read up on these things and it was partially a response to what you said about starting to read up on the nitrogen cycle and then forgetting about it. That cycle is the cornerstone of keeping healthy fish keeping and good info to know. You gotta keep the bacteria healthy so they can help you keep fish healthy.

Back to your original question, it’s still too hard to tell from the pic of the angels in the bag if the injury was there or not when you got it. Nonetheless, add some salt and keep up the water changes to keep the bacteria count low just in case. Meds can do more harm than good unless you know what you’re treating. If the spots spread and look like salt granules, it’s ich. If not, keep an eye on the area and see if it grows, gets red streaks near the base of the fin, whitish slime on the body, clamped fins, heavy breathing, one gill clamped, fish flicking and scratching etc. If you see these things...come back and ask for recommendations. But I have a feeling with lots of WC and a little salt, it’ll go away or it’s just scar tissue.

Good luck

Indominus94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
Thanks again for all the info man, it’s all appreciated here lol I will catch up on my readings as I’m finding it essential like you had stated earlier, I feel if I did properly cycle my tank, and do more frequent water changes it will benefit my fish better. I’m hoping these changes to my tank maintenance will help to clear up the issues i’m having with my fish. And on my next days off i’m going to purchase that api master test kit to ensure I know all parameters of my tank and be able to correct those accordingly.

So this afternoon before I go into work I feed my fish and check on them, and the spots are still there, not more, not less, just the same..I’m kind of thinking it may be some kind of scar issue like you had said with the fish that I hadn’t noticed before. Usually I’m a few feet back when I observe my tank, but after my water change when I noticed the spots on the fin I was really close trying to find my Cory cats. None of my other fish have any traces of white spots, and while I am far away from the fish tank you can’t see the spots, only when you are closely looking into the tank you can notice them,but if anything else comes up with the fish I will probably update it here, thanks again man for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store