Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I said the Hurricane hit Central Mexico and that the caravan was in Mexico's south. It's pretty obvious I am referring to the Central Mexicans. Is trolling when I disagree with your opinions?

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I said the Hurricane hit Central Mexico and that the caravan was in Mexico's south. It's pretty obvious I am referring to the Central Mexicans. Is trolling when I disagree with your opinions?
Yes.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
IN OTHER NEWS

The frosted flatwoods salamander (Ambystoma cingulatum) is likely to be extinct in the wild after Hurricane Michael. Fortunately there's a stable captive population in Atlanta that could potentially be used to reintroduce them in the future
I just so happened to Google what it looks like. I have found these several times in our driveway after a rain. I saw the last one around August. I had no idea what kind of was. I thought marbled, but it has the reticulated pattern. I see the spotted and marbled several times. The reticulated I see 1-2x yr. Supposedly they haven't been seen in Alabama since the 90s

https://www.outdooralabama.com/salamanders/reticulated-flatwoods-salamander

Reactions: Chicxulub

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Out of curiousity what kind of fish do you keep?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I find it fascinating the bot continues to both try to incite discord in this thread and also to attempt again to school a site moderator.
How does the song go? "You don't tug on superman's cape." You don't spit into the wind." " You don't ------------------the old lone ranger and you don't mess around with ________."
I will watch this thread with anticipation.

Reactions: Chicxulub

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have been thinking about the caravan now crossing Mexico in terms other than politics or religion. I get that this migration can be described as political but there likely are other things involved. The other things include, in my estimation, a world wide resource crisis playing out which compels people to attempt such a horrendous trek.
While I have not kept up about the particular living conditions in the central American countries from where this caravan started, it seems clear that conditions are bad. Bad enough to prompt such a desperate journey. A part of the problem being there are horrible conditions in many places around the world. One thing people do is to try to flee to a safer place.
One of my questions is are there enough safer places to accommodate all those in need? My initial thinking is no there are not enough such places that exist. I think back to the bomb shelter days. Folks with the capacity to do so built expensive shelters in which they hoped to ride out a nuclear attack. Folks like myself were going to be out of luck unless some one else took us in. The crunch point was that such shelters had very limited capacity.

Several movies and TV shows were made about the issue. So far the problem has only been imaginary and played out as fictional drama. Do you open the door and let others in knowing this will doom them as well as your family? Do you use force to keep out those who were your friends only hours before? I get that this caravan is a small bit of a very slow moving world crisis but there is a point to consider. How many needy people can any particular country take in before the burden causes a resource crisis very much like the one that caused such a caravan in the first place?

For what it is worth I hope any who respond can avoid bringing in politics. I get there are political angles but perhaps we can talk about the other aspects. I will ask this and will myself try to not respond to political stuff.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Nebraska school serves kanga meat in chili, causes hubbub.

(Honestly what's the big deal? It's common, healthier than beef and taste good)
I'm a little late to this but what was the issue? We eat roo's over here quite often and no one cares. Did they inform parents that they were doing it? If they did, I don't see a problem.

Idk. Maybe I'm too laid back but I don't get what the kerfuffle was about. :confused:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'm a little late to this but what was the issue? We eat roo's over here quite often and no one cares. Did they inform parents that they were doing it? If they did, I don't see a problem.

Idk. Maybe I'm too laid back but I don't get what the kerfuffle was about. :confused:
Hello; many years ago a story went around about how a public school teacher got into a jam by taking students on a field trip. I took students on field trips myself so the story hit home.
It seems part of the field trip was to a local slaughter house. It also seems that some of the students who were happy to eat a burger at the fast food joints did not like seeing how the burger ingredients were made. The parents raised a stink. I guess it was more that the students could no longer pretend to believe whatever fantasy had been in place.
I saw no problem but as a child I saw my food being raised and took part in the slaughter myself. When around five to six years old or so my job was to catch hens for supper. I built a fire under a tub of water and when the water got hot I would catch two hens. When I got strong enough I also cut off their heads. I would let them run around spurting blood and bumping into things. My mom would throw them under another tub and let them jump around in side for a bit. That way she did not have to go find them.
The hot water was used to help get the feathers off. Mom would hold the dead chicken by their feet and plunge them into the hot water. It did stink but I guess somehow the hot water did lossen the feathers. Anyway those hens were very tasty and part of the best meals I ever had.

I hope roo's are tasty. I would eat them.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Before anyone feels sorry for these people of the caravan and how rough it is for them. They showed a video of them yesterday and one of them was on a cell phone(smart phone)....oh, that's rough.

Reactions: PYRU
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store