My red Tail Catfish

Mathew._.8888

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
I currently have a red tail catfish that is 3-4 inches and is in a 10 gallon by itself. I have a 750 gallon pond outside my house ( alot of ppl ask me abt the temp.and stuff, i live in india where the temperature is perfect and the prices of fish are really really cheap lol ) which i will move it into in a bit. I feed him live minnows. He rarely moves and is never very social and he has a brownish tail currently. How do I make him feel more comfortable and how do I make his red tail appear faster. I had to take him out of the 750 gallon because it wasnt didnt get any food down there and because i was scared my paroon sharks would hurt him. Please give me tips on how to get him very social and healthy.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I currently have a red tail catfish that is 3-4 inches and is in a 10 gallon by itself. I have a 750 gallon pond outside my house ( alot of ppl ask me abt the temp.and stuff, i live in india where the temperature is perfect and the prices of fish are really really cheap lol ) which i will move it into in a bit. I feed him live minnows. He rarely moves and is never very social and he has a brownish tail currently. How do I make him feel more comfortable and how do I make his red tail appear faster. I had to take him out of the 750 gallon because it wasnt didnt get any food down there and because i was scared my paroon sharks would hurt him. Please give me tips on how to get him very social and healthy.
Assuming your water is void of ammonia and nitrite and otherwise is good and assuming there are no stress factors, the small RTC can be a bit shy and may even need a cover for starters until they hit 6"-8". They should become more outgoing then.

The tail too will turn more red with size and age, especially if the diet contains natural red pigment, e.g., found in many crustaceans. But don't let crustaceans account for more than 10% of the diet for the risk of thiaminase-related problems.

Paprika can also be added a bit to the feed to aid in red coloration.

Mathew._.8888

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Assuming your water is void of ammonia and nitrite and otherwise is good and assuming there are no stress factors, the small RTC can be a bit shy and may even need a cover for starters until they hit 6"-8". They should become more outgoing then.

The tail too will turn more red with size and age, especially if the diet contains natural red pigment, e.g., found in many crustaceans. But don't let crustaceans account for more than 10% of the diet for the risk of thiaminase-related problems.

Paprika can also be added a bit to the feed to aid in red coloration.
I have a small pipe in which it hides now.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I have good pellet but i was told catfishes like live fish better.
I have never raised any fish on live feeders. I always feed pellets. And an rtc is really easy to feed pellets. He will eat about anything you feed him. I had a rtc a year ago with basicly vacuumed the tank for pellets. Chuck em in and he will eat it trust me on that point

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store