Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Guianacara all look very similar and can be difficult to tell apart if you don't have a trusted source that you got them from. Presence of midlateral bar with spot inside, as well as black on dorsal rays, makes me think G. Owroewefi.
Here is a diagram from a research paper by Hernan Fernandez-lopez
guianacara.png

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looks a lot like the ones I had, sold as geayi, but probably sphenozoma. They can change colors at the drop pf a hat, which makes IDing even more difficult.
I fed a pellet high in spirulina, and added tannin laced water with water changes.
Below guiding some dark green eggs, under a branch.

Later on all same species

mine shared a 150gal with some Acarichthys heckelli

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Looks a lot like the ones I had, sold as geayi, but probably sphenozoma. They can change colors at the drop pf a hat, which makes IDing even more difficult.
I fed a pellet high in spirulina, and added tannin laced water with water changes.
Below guiding some dark green eggs, under a branch.

Later on all same species

mine shared a 150gal with some Acarichthys heckelli
How did they do w/ heckelli?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They did well with heckelli, never any aggression between them, but in the end (at maturity) the 150 gal turned out to be too small for the heckelli.
During the spawning rut, the Acarichthys turned on each in such a small space (at about 10").

I was warned the 150 would be too small, and ended up loosing them all, by not heeding the advice.
The Guiancara went on in that tank very well, with small pike cichlids, and Mesoheros gephyrum.

In the pic above, you can see an infection starting on the heckelli, I never saw them inflict direct damage on each other, but the stress of the rut, in the small space seemed to break down their immune system, leading to death.

vikingkirken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
They look like stergiosi to me. Dacrya are not as brilliant white (which is what I have), and owroewefi have orange in their faces as adults (and you have one with a humped forehead already but no orange). Unless there is an owroewefi variant without the orange that I'm unaware of.

They are great fish, you will love them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store