African Tiger Fish compatibility?

Stan Abeaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
Hi, I would like to know if African tigerfish are aggressive to other species such as peacock bass, silver arowanas, clown knife etc? In aggressive I mean will they mortally fight each other or will they mind their business with mild biting etc? lets The african tiger fish is the same size as the other fish.Thank you!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Depends on what you mean by "mild" biting marks. I'll let the experts go in detail, but all the ones I see are unpredictable.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Stan Abeaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
In mild biting I mean small nips, rather than huge chunks of meat or fins teared apart.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
In mild biting I mean small nips, rather than huge chunks of meat or fins teared apart.
Did you miss their teeth?

There’s literally a thread from today on what happens lol a good thread to look at is the one thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter made on his.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Stan Abeaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
I know they have teeth, but so do peacock bass and silver arowana, big teeth doesn’t always mean “will cut you in half” also I heard that they are predatory to smaller fish but somewhat skittish to other big fish so...idk was hoping for some 1st hand accounts of their aggression at smaller sizes let’s say 6inches or so

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
At smaller sizes you’ll be fine but when they get around a 1’+ they get unpredictable. Can be fine for months then take a chunk out of someone. The only nips you see atf do is shortening of the dorsal fin. It’s a dominance thing they do. Bass and arowana teeth are no comparison.

See I’m not saying you can’t keep tank mates. The question is how long will it work before either the atf gets scared and kills itself or decides to enforce the hierarchy

Stan Abeaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
oh ok thanks, So basically at 6 inches it "should" be fine with peacock bass of similar size, but I would just monitor him. Like would it be better to keep him with a 10 inch banded leporinus if he is 6 inches? Like my banded leporinus isnt aggressive to fish that doesn't square up to him. Like he killed a 9 inch green terror that wanted beef. Also are african tigerfish hardy in the sense that they can tolerate water conditions little less than ideal sometimes, because i dont like keeping fish that die suddenly due to minor water quality drops? Thankss for the feedback yall really appreciate it.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Peacock bass might outgrow and eat the atf, could also bully the atf at smaller sizes. You don't know until you try though. Each fish has its own personality. All we can do is advise you of the risk and what is likely to happen. For all you know you can be the exception to the rule and it works just fine for you

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
What kind of ATF do you have? Goliaths IME are super timid and skittish. Where as FATFs are insane... My 10-12" FATF killed a few datnoids, blinded a few payaras and don't know how many silver dollars and tarpons he took out.. Where as my 15" goliath was being punked by at 11" wide bar silver dollar lol. But this is my experience and like moe214 moe214 said, each fish is different.

Reactions: moe214

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tigers aren't hardy at all,and with the exception of large gar, they don't get along with much once subadult to adult

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store