Ideas for proper pH adjustment in the tank?

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
Did you just get the Rainbows? Tbh the Blood Parrot's should be separated from Convicts if possible.
I got the Rainbows last Tuesday should I separate both convicts or just the male? I kind of like the idea of having tons of feeder fish made by the convicts to feed to my others so maybe both male and female.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I got the Rainbows last Tuesday should I separate both convicts or just the male? I kind of like the idea of having tons of feeder fish made by the convicts to feed to my others so maybe both male and female.

Keep an I out for aggression towards the Blood Parrot's. If you notice torn fins or any other physical damage divide or remove the Convicts. GL

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
Keep an I out for aggression towards the Blood Parrot's. If you notice torn fins or any other physical damage divide or remove the Convicts. GL
Thank you so much for the help, I will remove the Convicts in two weeks or potentially before that if things take a turn for the worse!

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
BP turn black usually is stress... but i believe the stress is more due to your unstable PH rather than the high PH...

my BP is very red and even lay eggs at high PH

Reactions: tlindsey

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
BP turn black usually is stress... but i believe the stress is more due to your unstable PH rather than the high PH...

My pH isn't fluctuating its staying at a solid number. My Blood Parrot is a male not a female I did say earlier it is a female but it is orange, not red and has never laid eggs.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
water that comes out of my tap is about 8.5.
Any ideas to keep the pH smoothly at about 6.8-7?
Yes I saw some videos on why you should just keep a stable pH instead of chasing one
you actually have Convict's from CA and Blood Parrot's are hybrid but Cichlids involved to produce them are normally from CA.
Hello; My take is this means you have fish more suited to your water than you seem to think.

BP turn black usually is stress
Hello; More personal experience about keeping similar fish in slightly higher pH.

My pH isn't fluctuating its staying at a solid number
My Blood Parrot is a male not a female I did say earlier it is a female but it is orange, not red and has never laid eggs.
Hello Jimbobby; You started the thread asking how to lower the pH. That in itself means the pH will fluctuate in your attempts. You will wind up "chasing" PH if you continue trying to lower it. We are responding as best we know. This last post in which you dispute the notion of the question of changing the pH seems out of place and now state the pH is stable.
I also do not follow why you added this part "My Blood Parrot is a male not a female I did say earlier it is a female but it is orange, not red and has never laid eggs."

I wish you the best of luck and all but likely am done.

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
Hello; My take is this means you have fish more suited to your water than you seem to think.

Hello; More personal experience about keeping similar fish in slightly higher pH.

Hello Jimbobby; You started the thread asking how to lower the pH. That in itself means the pH will fluctuate in your attempts. You will wind up "chasing" PH if you continue trying to lower it. We are responding as best we know. This last post in which you dispute the notion of the question of changing the pH seems out of place and now state the pH is stable.
I also do not follow why you added this part "My Blood Parrot is a male not a female I did say earlier it is a female but it is orange, not red and has never laid eggs."

I wish you the best of luck and all but likely am done.
Sorry I thought Galantspeedz was saying that My Blood Parrot should be laying eggs so there is a problem that is why I said that, I guess I will just leave the pH as it is and not try to change it at all but will remove my Convicts just in case that is what could be causing the Parrot's stress. I am sorry I was not clarifying what I was trying to ask as well as I should have.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the others, none of the cichlids you mention are South American, they are Central Americans (or derived from CA) and will thrive in pH 8 and above water. No need for peat with them at all. The rainbows will do OK in that water too.

Reactions: Lemonheadfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store