Biggest rtc I’ve seen.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I do recall that. I’ve just booked up a Suriname fishing’s trip myself. End of September 2 weeks of solid fishing. Cannot wait.
Who with if you don't mind my asking? Andree's? 3H? Paul?

Was this to Wonotobo or if not what area?

You supplying tackle or the guide supplying? If you need recommendations let me know otherwise you can get most things from Tomahawk fishing shop in Paramaribo after you arrive. Everyone does this for weights typically because they cost so much if you bring them in your luggage. We were fishing 8-16oz weights in most cases and you should expect to lose a bunch during that time.

What kind of vaccinations must you go through?
Last time I went I got vaccines for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and an updated Tetanus shot I believe. It was actually a significant expense I hadn't thought about, cost me $400 for all of it and the Yellow Fever was in low supply in Dallas Ft Worth with only one place available where I was barely able to get it in time before my trip. Most of those last a while and I think they recommend a booster every 10 years.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Who with if you don't mind my asking? Andree's? 3H? Paul?

Was this to Wonotobo or if not what area?

You supplying tackle or the guide supplying? If you need recommendations let me know otherwise you can get most things from Tomahawk fishing shop in Paramaribo after you arrive. Everyone does this for weights typically because they cost so much if you bring them in your luggage. We were fishing 8-16oz weights in most cases and you should expect to lose a bunch during that time.

Last time I went I got vaccines for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and an updated Tetanus shot I believe. It was actually a significant expense I hadn't thought about, cost me $400 for all of it and the Yellow Fever was in low supply in Dallas Ft Worth with only one place available where I was barely able to get it in time before my trip. Most of those last a while and I think they recommend a booster every 10 years.
I believe it’s Paul we’re going with.

We are taking are own rods, tackle ect. We was discussing lead weights, glad to know we can get them over there. Friends booked it, so I’m not so much in the know. I’m sure I’ll find out more over the next few weeks.

I’ll always listen to advice, good to get some inside information.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I’ll always listen to advice, good to get some inside information.
Paul and his team are awesome, he pretty much runs the sportfishing game in Suriname and all outside agencies book through him as far as I know. If it's the trip I think you'll be at the lodge camp then tent camping for the last few days. I'd really like to see some pictures of the lodge camp after you're back so I know what to look forward too. I stayed on the floating camp and it was rustic to say the least lol

A few quick suggestions given the logistics of this trip:

1) Always check your luggage and pick it back up at each airport to avoid them forgetting to transfer it to the next flight. My bags didn't make the plane out of Miami to Port of Spain, Trinidad then when they did finally make it there wasn't another flight to Paramaribo, Suriname for 2 days...not to mention you're not down the street where you can just have the airport drop them off like you would if that happened domestically...you're 6-12 hours from the nearest proper city by a combination of car/boat.

2) Bring lots of extra terminal tackle because the fish and environment are not easy on your gear. They sell most of the stuff you need at Tomahawk but in limited quantities so if your whole group hits the store you will wipe them out of stock and may not be able to get enough of what you need. Run to the weights when you walk in! Mostly 8oz but a couple 10oz should be good. We doubled up 8oz in heavy tides. I already stockpiled Owner ST-66 trebles for my next trip (Size 2/0)...strongest hooks money can buy and sharpest yet still had two of them snapped clean off from the shear bite force of monster Piraiba. Wire leaders are an absolute necessity when fishing for smaller fish/bait because there are quite a few Piranha in the area so I'd bring a bunch of them.

3) Bring at least one very heavy duty setup if you're Piraiba fishing, I'd say minimum 30lbs of drag and 300 yards of 100lb braid on a rod that can handle it. Also handy for big RTC because they will try to wrap you around logs and you need power to keep them out. You can chase the fish with the boats but in that first few seconds of the fight you can easily get spooled if you don't have enough drag/line. I lost a fish that peeled 250yds of line off against 45lbs of drag in about 30 seconds one night and there was nothing we could do to stop it. I fished 150lb braided mainline but next year will fish 100lb so I can qualify for IGFA records. Most fished 200-400lb braided leaders. I'd bring 100yds of leader material.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...er-hd-treble-trade-hooks/741890.uts?slotId=11

https://www.zeck-fishing.com/lead-boom-8013120002

https://www.zeck-fishing.com/main-line-stop-8019120006

4) Not critical by any means but some sort of foam pad for the long boat rides since you're sitting on aluminum without proper seats in some cases to and from the camps. A badminton racket...you'll see why :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow, that's huge! I'd say this one caught in Brazil (I think from same website) is about same size:

View attachment 1364266
Great catch as is (sincerely)... but...

The desperate poor guy is stretching out his arms and leaning back as far as he can to impress us all. I don't understand why they do it. Do they think we can't see it? ... Well, I am sure most non-fish people can't. I guess that's why. But then they look pitiful, disgraceful, and the opposite of classy and tasteful in the eyes of their peers. Is it worth it overall? (Reminds me of the "Please, don't forget to "like" and subscribe to us!" contemporary mentality of begging and cheating and tricking and doing anything for honor, as we discussed in the "I want the "dislike" button" thread with RD.)

I think some fishermen would satisfy their sore thumb vanity better by hiring little people to come along with them for their fishing trips just in case... The littler, the better haha... My nemesis...

The unusually high arching back reminds me of the high back RTC CoolComfort had pointed out before. Perhaps, it might not be a defect / trauma after all but a valid trait of some RTC.

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand

The desperate poor guy is stretching out his arms and leaning back as far as he can to impress us all. I don't understand why they do it. Do they think we can't see it? ... Well, I am sure most non-fish people can't. I guess that's why. But then they look pitiful, disgraceful, and the opposite of classy and tasteful in the eyes of their peers. Is it worth it overall? (Reminds me of the "Please, don't forget to "like" and subscribe to us!" contemporary mentality of begging and cheating and tricking and doing anything for honor, as we discussed in the "I want the "dislike" button" thread with RD.)

I think some fishermen would satisfy their sore thumb vanity better by hiring little people to come along with them for their fishing trips just in case... The littler, the better haha... My nemesis...

The unusually high arching back reminds me of the high back RTC CoolComfort had pointed out before. Perhaps, it might not be a defect / trauma after all but a valid trait of some RTC.
Yeah to be sure more than a few fishermen are infamous for embellishing their catches (or the ones that 'got away') to impress others, been going on for eons that :) And though I did post the pic, to be perfectly honest I don't really like seeing any fish in the hands of fishermen, esp. if they're on hooks. But as someone who grew up commercial fishing in Alaska, often standing up to his waist in beautiful dead/dying salmon (or ugly halibut) I really can't get up on a pulpit about sport fishing.

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA

I still think this fish has a major defect compared to the one above. However, I’m not sure I believe that males are RTCs with protruding snouts. I am actually under the belief that these might be part of a very slightly different clade amongst their genus. This different clade would still be able to breed with the others, but due to separation they have developed slightly different. I don’t have enough evidence to support the claim, but just a wild guess if anything. To feel more confident about this claim I’d have to see RTCs shapes from each country and major river in Southern America and see if they differ in appearance from area to area.

Love the commentary about the fisherman. Quite spot on really. I think the sad thing is that it’s becoming so common everyone feels it’s necesarry to do it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store