1st hand experience vs Care sheets

Whats more helpful

• Total voters

Lexitron

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
I know that I can definitely add my two cents on this. I am by no means, an expert with monster fish, but rather have begun to get my feet wet. My bichir and rope fish and led me to MFK. I had issues with disease at one point and care sheets and advice did nothing for me, but rather the threads and posts from experienced individuals gave me the tools and knowledge to make smart decisions to aid my fish back to health. In my limited knowledge and experience, care sheets have done little but point me in the right direction to ask the right questions of experienced individuals who have more in depth knowledge to share. I like searching through MFK to read all accounts so that I may make decisions on my own. Differing results and testimony allow for me to draw my own conclusions rather than take a care sheet for gospel. I agree with other individuals that word of mouth and constant repetition do not make a thing true. But, I consider myself to be someone who likes to think critically. And, with more voices offering experienced advice; even if some of it is contradictory, is more valuable to me that one document in black and white that I cannot verify for legitimacy or be sure that it is up to date. I also think that there is something to be said for the experienced individual who is passionate about the hobby. If you are truly passionate about it and the animals you care for, the information you will dispense will be about the animals' best interest and well-being. And, that's what people are looking for, right? How to take care of their animals in the best way possible; so they can be happy and healthy.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
MFK, like any other internet source, is certainly not immune to providing incorrect info.
For sure, but at the same time IMO a "care sheet" posted on a website that specializes in that area, or specific species, such as those on seriouslyfish, and loaches-online, should be held to a much higher standard than an individual simply posting their opinion on a fish forum.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
My read on seriously fishy is that they aren’t really that geared towards the hobby side of things. Their web design also reeks of 15 years ago. One thing I read there was based on a study from 2002, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are wrong on a bunch of issues since trends in fish availability move faster than that.

Does anyone on this site belong to that group? They actually have a “forum” for discussion but I couldn’t log on on my phone.

Everything eventually becomes outdated when it doesn’t reflect the most recent activity or the living economy that is the fish trade. I think the multi-sourced approach that other people mentioned is best, not one or the other, though “care sheets” seem limited for sure.

This place is great because there are people working in all parts of the world feeding us the latest on-the-ground reports that effect the hobby as well as those who been doing this for decades.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So whats the use if we are the one correting it right? Why not just go to MFK and ask the ppl here with first hand experience :naughty:
Lmaoo so the care sheets on seriously fish written by "professionals" are a mess, to find this out you have to dig deeper and bring up scientific studies. Then correct those mistakes by emailing them......sheesh talk about cheap labor :clap

• Haha
Reactions: Polyaddict86

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I assumed this sort of responses would follow from you @ J jaws7777 :ROFL:

You're like an irritated can with its claws out waiting to bounce on me....

To follow up on that, some info can be verified, such as the maximum size of your favourite senegal bichirs.....It still remains 505mm, or 20 inches :ROFL: I dont' think they'll change that just because yours never grew that big...

There's me being annoying on purpsose :naughty:

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I assumed this sort of responses would follow from you @ J jaws7777 :ROFL:

You're like an irritated can with its claws out waiting to bounce on me....

To follow up on that, some info can be verified, such as the maximum size of your favourite senegal bichirs.....It still remains 505mm, or 20 inches :ROFL: I dont' think they'll change that just because yours never grew that big...

There's me being annoying on purpsose :naughty:
Just a quick question, since your taking about them not going to change a senegal max size, i just want to ask you or anybody here in MFK even J jaws7777 Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 Hao Hao Troy1015 Troy1015 Dloks Dloks Alexkoj Alexkoj or any old OG poly keepers if anyone have seen a 20” senegal?

Reactions: Matteus and Dloks

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
One thing I read there was based on a study from 2002, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are wrong on a bunch of issues since trends in fish availability move faster than that.
Studying fish emotions is a new thing alright, 10 years or so.

There are many things that were not comprehensively studied yet but new information is just adding up to the old, not taking away the validity of existing information.

I agree that some studies I have read are questionable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store