1st hand experience vs Care sheets

Whats more helpful

• Total voters

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Just a quick question, since your taking about them not going to change a senegal max size, i just want to ask you or anybody here in MFK even J jaws7777 Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 Hao Hao Troy1015 Troy1015 Dloks Dloks Alexkoj Alexkoj or any old OG poly keepers if anyone have seen a 20” senegal?

How does that prove anything at all?

In the same manner I can argue that clown loaches don't breed but multiply by division because no one has seen them breed, which was certainly the case before the times of hormonal breeding.

Having said that, now that you have sparked my interest, I'l research all the info posted here about senegal bichirs.

What I gather so far is that they don't grow to that size in captivity for one or another reason.

Last edited:

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I suppose I am off to the shop this evening to get me a senegal bichir....20 G is fine for a start, right?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I assumed this sort of responses would follow from you @ J jaws7777 :ROFL:

You're like an irritated can with its claws out waiting to bounce on me....

To follow up on that, some info can be verified, such as the maximum size of your favourite senegal bichirs.....It still remains 505mm, or 20 inches :ROFL: I dont' think they'll change that just because yours never grew that big...

There's me being annoying on purpsose :naughty:
Dude you literally hang on every post i make its flattering. Are you this sensitive in reality ? Geez your like a ball of exposed never cells. Gotta work on that epidermis bud.

Your hanging your hat on the 1 discrepancy that you can easily brush off by saying " these were probably max sizes of wc fish" yet havent commented on the abundance of other mistakes.

How does that prove anything at all?

In the same manner I can argue that clown loaches don't breed but multiply by division because no one has seen them breed, which was certainly the case before the times of hormonal breeding.

Having said that, now that you have sparked my interest, I'l research all the info posted here about senegal bichirs.

What I gather so far is that they don't grow to that size in captivity for one or another reason.
It actually proves allot. If 20 inch sens are soo rare then how could an accurate care sheet claim they get 20 inches when for the most part most would be lucky to get half that growth ?

Move on to something a little more difficult.... explain how such a well thought out care sheet states teugelsi reach 16 inches ?

You just dont get it. No one will give a rats ass about anything you come up while doing your extensive research because you have no real world experience. Anyone can be a google warrior.

I will agree with you on one thing, forums and social media groups definitely arent perfect. Especially when people dont know how to admit they're wrong, cant utter the word "i dont know" and type out 100 word replies when they could get their point across in under 10.

I love arguing with you, you make it soo easy.

"In the same manner I can argue that clown loaches don't breed but multiply by division because no one has seen them breed, which was certainly the case before the times of hormonal breeding"

Right so if seriously fish stated breeding can occur in the aquarium it would be misleading. Same as saying sens reach 20 inches.

Just a quick question, since your taking about them not going to change a senegal max size, i just want to ask you or anybody here in MFK even J jaws7777 Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 Hao Hao Troy1015 Troy1015 Dloks Dloks Alexkoj Alexkoj or any old OG poly keepers if anyone have seen a 20” senegal?
I havent but the problem is he wont admit that the incorrect size would stop most people from keeping one. Just because the fish theres a possibility that somewhere on god green earth exists a 20 inch sen doesnt mean that they can get away with listing that as its max size.

Lord i cant wait to see his argument on teugs maxing out at 16 inches. Or polys not accepting dry foods... even better how endli are said to grow larger than PBB or the bsence of accurate habitat/catch location.... doesnt seem very scientific to me. Bblondi stickies are way more accurate

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Also depends on the topic. I know (through a forum we were both on) someone who's an absolute expert on Malawi cichlids based on diving the lake for years and his own breeding operation. He's about as close to Ad Konings as you'll get except for Ad Konings. But I wouldn't take his advice on food.
Someone suggesting that polys won't eat dry food reminded me of something Ad Konings wrote years ago.

The following is a direct quote from one of his books published back in the mid 90's.

"Males of many Utaka will not regain or acquire their breeding colours when fed exclusively on dry food. "

Had he stated when fed exclusively a very low quality dry food, that may have had some truth to it. Years ago I had someone who has dove in Malawi, and collected thousands of fish, in my home, viewing my breeding groups. In his opinion my fish were every bit as colorful, and healthy looking, as those that he collected in the wild.

So sometimes even the experts can get it wrong.

They certainly should. I suppose, if enthusiastic enough, one can always write to the admins?

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/

True enough, but remember I went that route with the group at loaches-online, and basically got poo-poo'd by their admin, and the author of an article where he had basically got his entire commentary ass-backwards.
The result of that was me writing my own article, with credible references, and credible photos from sources with their feet on the ground in that part of the world, which I later posted here on MFK, which later became a sticky. That's how enthusiastic I became.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Dude you literally hang on every post i make its flattering. Are you this sensitive in reality ? Geez your like a ball of exposed never cells. Gotta work on that epidermis bud.
You are again singing the same song as me. Listen to yourself :ROFL:

• Wow
Reactions: jaws7777

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Someone suggesting that polys won't eat dry food reminded me of something Ad Konings wrote years ago.

The following is a direct quote from one of his books published back in the mid 90's.

"Males of many Utaka will not regain or acquire their breeding colours when fed exclusively on dry food. "

Had he stated when fed exclusively a very low quality dry food, that may have had some truth to it. Years ago I had someone who has dove in Malawi, and collected thousands of fish, in my home, viewing my breeding groups. In his opinion my fish were every bit as colorful, and healthy looking, as those that he collected in the wild.

So sometimes even the experts can get it wrong.
I experimentally proved this exact point to myself years ago. I'd gotten some beautiful C. mloto, wild I think, not 100% certain of my memory on that. After a few months it hit me they looked dull compared to when I first got them. My water was great so I suspected food. This started me on the whole odyssey of educating myself on food, reading and experimenting, before I'd joined any forums.

Sure enough, it was the food, absolutely. And guess what I'd been feeding them when they lost their original vibrant appearance? Hikari.

That's also why you can't take all aquaculture feed studies as gospel. Sometimes the baseline diet is a lower quality dry food, skewing the results in favor of ingredients you wouldn't or shouldn't find in a premium food.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coryloach and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store