Whats more helpful

• Total voters

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Am curious about this quote on Wikipedia about P. Senegalus:

“Provided the skin remains moist, P. senegalus can remain out of the water indefinitely – it can even be raised on land, where it uses its large pectoral fins to walk.[5]

I get the limitations of Wikipedia, but the citation comes from a well know science journal “Nature.” Can anyone here confirm this? Do any of the poly keepers try amphibian setups for these guys? They seem to be an evolutionary stepping stone that I find fascinating. Also I want to convince the fiancé these are worthwhile. The idea that was they could get out and walk across the floor is not a selling point for her!!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Am curious about this quote on Wikipedia about P. Senegalus:

“Provided the skin remains moist, P. senegalus can remain out of the water indefinitely – it can even be raised on land, where it uses its large pectoral fins to walk.[5]

I get the limitations of Wikipedia, but the citation comes from a well know science journal “Nature.” Can anyone here confirm this? Do any of the poly keepers try amphibian setups for these guys? They seem to be an evolutionary stepping stone that I find fascinating. Also I want to convince the fiancé these are worthwhile. The idea that was they could get out and walk across the floor is not a selling point for her!!
I cant imagine how true it could be but then again there really isnt any reason to disagree. I wonder how they even came to that conclusion, hopefully they didnt actually try this on a sen

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
“Provided the skin remains moist, P. senegalus can remain out of the water indefinitely – it can even be raised on land, where it uses its large pectoral fins to walk
I actually came across that study yesterday and skimmed through it looking for senegal maximum size. :ROFL:But yeah, there's some research on that out there.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
I cant imagine how true it could be but then again there really isnt any reason to disagree. I wonder how they even came to that conclusion, hopefully they didnt actually try this on a sen
That was my thought too. I have heard of SA plecostomi puddle jumping and spending a short stint of time out of water (between puddles on the way to a river). I wondered if they had similar “lung” capacity. But the “indefinitely” part for P. Senaglus gave me pause.....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
That was my thought too. I have heard of SA plecostomi puddle jumping and spending a short stint of time out of water (between puddles on the way to a river). I wondered if they had similar “lung” capacity. But the “indefinitely” part for P. Senaglus gave me pause.....
I think the indefinitely part sounds suspect.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Ive seen that vid. Im skeptical that she raised the fish in a strictly damp but waterless environment. Even if she did i dont think anything that was discovered is ground breaking. We know bichirs can "walk" between bodies of water, snakeheads also do this. Now had the fish displayed the walking behavior after the experiment and never before... that would be interesting

Reactions: Matteus

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Poseidon2.0 Poseidon2.0

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/all-bichir-polypterus-species-updated.684410/

From the same thread you posted above, see below quote from Josh resolving the mystery of Polypterus Senegalus 20 inch argument

The thicker-bodied 20" Turkana P. senegalus senegalus has been re-classified as another P. senegalus meridionales, due to have DNA close matching to the original specimen caught in the Laulaba river.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store