Severe stingray open wound & healing process (graphic pictures)

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice work on starting the healing process. In your photos showing the attack right after it happened, she looks thinner than in earlier photos. Wondering if she has been stressed for awhile.

Castexi

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Looks like you have done a good job with the healing process.
Any ideas what caused it?
And I must say it looks more like a Marble Motoro, not a Pearl mate
She could be, I'm just going by what I was told when I acquired her. It was a bite likely from one of the arapaima mistaking one of her spots for a pellet I'm assuming. Could have also been the big motoro in there I guess.
You’ve really looked her Healing nicely. Hope it continues
Thank you!
Nice work on starting the healing process. In your photos showing the attack right after it happened, she looks thinner than in earlier photos. Wondering if she has been stressed for awhile.
She dumped weight immediately, but yes she's been hard to put weight on and thin for a bit which I attribute to the big motoro constantly taking passes at her. I've moved her several times to smaller tanks and brought her back slightly larger hoping it would correct, since he leaves the BD alone who is only marginally larger than she is.
wow very interesting to see this from the instant it happened, to the worst part, then to the healing process. Thank you for posting this. Very informative.
That's what I was hoping! Glad you enjoyed.

Reactions: Matteus

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Well done on healing this ray. Ive never seen a wound from a bite behave this way.

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Nice to see that ray healing up nicely. That is a strange wound. I’ve had my share of bites, scrapes, etc. but nothing like that type. Take the stress out of the equation and they usually heal pretty nicely. Good job!

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow. This is something else.

It sounds like you did an amazing job of dr.ing her back to health. I love the sump hospital tank idea.

From what it looks, I’d say you might be in good condition of her making it through this. Sounds like she is a tough girl.

My marble pup had the entire side of his body chewed off by other adults, as soon as he was born. He was treated in a similar qt as this. He is strong and healthy to this day. Just has a funny marked up side of his body. Hopefully this gives hope for your situation.

Thank you for sharing.

Castexi

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Updated pictures for tonight. The muscle tissue is no longer visible, still eating STRONG, looks as though a premature skin layer is forming. For those that can't see, the spots actually developed ontop of the muscles before the skin layer. Very strange.

58460844_1194946834012976_6734111908099522560_n.jpg

59229813_2316524171894473_6633367755045208064_n.jpg

58442669_2327476650870981_574295805318397952_2n.jpg

Reactions: cigars and Matteus

Castexi

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Well done on healing this ray. Ive never seen a wound from a bite behave this way.
Thank you! I've only seen small aggression/mating bites around the disc perimeter before as well, I had absolutely no idea what to do at first.
Nice to see that ray healing up nicely. That is a strange wound. I’ve had my share of bites, scrapes, etc. but nothing like that type. Take the stress out of the equation and they usually heal pretty nicely. Good job!
It is a very odd wound, I have my doubts about who bit her still but it's all I can come up with - nothing sharp at all in the tank.
Wow. This is something else.

It sounds like you did an amazing job of dr.ing her back to health. I love the sump hospital tank idea.

From what it looks, I’d say you might be in good condition of her making it through this. Sounds like she is a tough girl.

My marble pup had the entire side of his body chewed off by other adults, as soon as he was born. He was treated in a similar qt as this. He is strong and healthy to this day. Just has a funny marked up side of his body. Hopefully this gives hope for your situation.

Thank you for sharing.
I definitely appreciate that insight - I'd love to see some before/after or during pictures - especially now. I'm curious if/how this will heal back to the rest of her pattern or what to expect. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store