Tiger Oscars, and convict cichlids

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I have a 112 gallon tank and am researching the possibility of having 2 Tigers oscars, and 2 convicts. Will this work? If not what other fish can I have with the Tiger Oscars? Thanks for the help.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Would it? Is this a long term thing or a growout for the Oscars. Their could be a possibility that the Oscars don’t get along in the long run but if raised together you never know. It depends on gender. If you plan to get 2 convicts you would have to make sure they are male and female and they will try and take up a third to half of then tank.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would not keep breeding Cons with anything. I had a pair that kept the obviously bigger fish in a 1/4 of the tank till I got a divider
20171019_181151.jpg
If you are going to do this I suggest only getting male Convicts (NO ORANGE BELLIES, they are the females)

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What is the footprint of the tank?
4ft long x 2ft wide?
If so I would not suggest getting the Oscar's at all. Instead since you like Cons, set up a Con harem tank. You could do a Male and three females. If you wanted could pic the more colorful cousins of the Con like Honduran Red Points, or A. Nanolutea.
Get a nice dither fish like Swordtails. A bottom feeder like a small Synadonis cat or Cories that are from West side of the Andes.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Dimensions of the tank would help. Most if not all people on this forum would probably advise against having 2 oscars in this size of a tank.
When getting 2 cichlids you also never know if they will get along as they grow up. The convict harem idea is interesting. Convicts can be interesting fish.
I love oscars. If you are set on getting oscars feel free to ask questions. If you put them in the size tank you mentioned you would probably (most would say definitely) need to move to a larger tank as they mature.
Again, if you are set on oscars, make sure you read up. They are quite a bit of work. If they outgrow the tank they are difficult to give away.

DawnMichele

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Dimensions of the tank would help. Most if not all people on this forum would probably advise against having 2 oscars in this size of a tank.
When getting 2 cichlids you also never know if they will get along as they grow up. The convict harem idea is interesting. Convicts can be interesting fish.
I love oscars. If you are set on getting oscars feel free to ask questions. If you put them in the size tank you mentioned you would probably (most would say definitely) need to move to a larger tank as they mature.
Again, if you are set on oscars, make sure you read up. They are quite a bit of work. If they outgrow the tank they are difficult to give away.
We LOVE our Oscar's!!!! :headbang2

Reactions: Jexnell and LBDave

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
What is the footprint of the tank?
4ft long x 2ft wide?
If so I would not suggest getting the Oscar's at all. Instead since you like Cons, set up a Con harem tank. You could do a Male and three females. If you wanted could pic the more colorful cousins of the Con like Honduran Red Points, or A. Nanolutea.
Get a nice dither fish like Swordtails. A bottom feeder like a small Synadonis cat or Cories that are from West side of the Andes.
The dimensions are, 5’x18”x24” (LxWxH)

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store