Tiger Oscars, and convict cichlids

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have had a 30 gallon for years with some large gold fish, then went to moores. Currently the 30 gallon has some assorted African Cichlids. The 112 gallon is the biggest I have ever gotten. I have two aquaclear 110s and a power head for water circulation.
The dimensions are, 5’x18”x24” (LxWxH)
I would only keep 1 Oscar in a 112. My Big Boy is in a 125 and he makes that look small.
+1 to what Dawn said.

Hank, your best bet would be to find the most appealing juvie Oscar that you can find, and keep him solo in that tank. O's make a good wet pet, and will become quite interactive with you as it matures. If you are keen on frequent water changes, as in 2-3 large water changes each week, then there are additional options that you could consider. All large cichlids that have the potential to reach 12+" require plenty of clean water thrown at them, the larger the tank, the more stable, and easier, their care becomes as they mature.

The vast majority of members here are not tank size fanatics, some of us have simply learned from our own past mistakes, and mistakes from others, and tend to keep those mistakes at the forefront when offering assistance to others that are not as experienced.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Thank you! I have gotten a lot of help from everyone which is awesome. I would love to get the Oscars but if it’s going to be a problem with tank size then I can hold off.

What kind of fish should I get established in a tank this size?
Well since you have done some africans maybe you would like to try some other cichlids? I am sort of into SA cichlids. I see RD has chimed in. I believe he may have some input. I have also tagged Duanes as he is to me the SA/ CA cichlid guru.
As far as the term "fanatics" I will let you be the judge of that. Suffice it to say sometimes the forum can get a little "heated" at times, but that's another subject.
duanes duanes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For your size tank, and you're 8.4 pH water, any medium size CentralAmerican will work, examples
A pair of Nosferatu bartoni, female below
Jack Dempseys, you may be able to do 3 or 4.
A video pf them in nature, with mollies and catfish they share habitat with
Eden2
Fire mouths, 4 or 5. or any in the genus Cribroheros (below Cribroheros rostrum)

Any of the convict clade (genus Amatitlania)

above Amatitlania cutteri, below A myrnae

Below Honduran Red Points

With your size tank, the Centrals to avoid would be any Parachromis, or Nandopsis

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thank you! I have gotten a lot of help from everyone which is awesome. I would love to get the Oscars but if it’s going to be a problem with tank size then I can hold off.

What kind of fish should I get established in a tank this size?
I’m obsessed with carpintis at the moment. You could purchase a group of Gus Sandoval’s Zeus line juveniles on Facebook. Of course you would have to dwindle that group down to a pair or a single fish. A pair of carpintis would do great for life in a 5 foot tank. Here is Ares one of his top breeder males of this amazing line of fish!
816B48B6-8455-48D0-85D2-8E5B088E15BB.png

Reactions: Serpentine

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
+1 to what Dawn said.

Hank, your best bet would be to find the most appealing juvie Oscar that you can find, and keep him solo in that tank. O's make a good wet pet, and will become quite interactive with you as it matures. If you are keen on frequent water changes, as in 2-3 large water changes each week, then there are additional options that you could consider. All large cichlids that have the potential to reach 12+" require plenty of clean water thrown at them, the larger the tank, the more stable, and easier, their care becomes as they mature.

The vast majority of members here are not tank size fanatics, some of us have simply learned from our own past mistakes, and mistakes from others, and tend to keep those mistakes at the forefront when offering assistance to others that are not as experienced.
Would upgrading to a fluval fx6 help with the heavy waste? The reason I ask about such a huge filter is that I saw one online for pretty cheap

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I’m obsessed with carpintis at the moment. You could purchase a group of Gus Sandoval’s Zeus line juveniles on Facebook. Of course you would have to dwindle that group down to a pair or a single fish. A pair of carpintis would do great for life in a 5 foot tank. Here is Ares one of his top breeder males of this amazing line of fish!
View attachment 1371149
I don’t know very much about this fish, why would I be able to keep this fish and not an Oscar?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The simple answer is there is no way to get out of water changes. Heavy filtration can push the water changes further apart if you want to go that route.
I have a 6ft 125gallon tank, atm it has 2x AC110's and 2x FX4's, my whole water volume gets filtered 13 times an hour, still with all that filtration I change 75% or more water every third day no matter what. I am rewarded for my work with very active, healthy fish.

My current tank with one 7in A. Sagittae that will in time grow out to 12in plus20190422_184547.jpg
My boy Casper, got him back in Sept. At 1.5 in now pushing to the 7in mark.20190426_235023.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store