Can Green Terror Cichlids lay eggs without males in the aquarium?

Maria1230

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2019
Heya! So, I have 2 Green Terrors at the moment. One of them had some eggs a few days ago but started being very aggressive to the other. I took the female out, thinking I'll let the other fertilize the eggs (I assumed the other was a male). However, the second GT ate all the eggs and today I found some fresh ones instead. What is going on? And should I buy a male for them?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Heya! So, I have 2 Green Terrors at the moment. One of them had some eggs a few days ago but started being very aggressive to the other. I took the female out, thinking I'll let the other fertilize the eggs (I assumed the other was a male). However, the second GT ate all the eggs and today I found some fresh ones instead. What is going on? And should I buy a male for them?

Welcome aboard

Cichlid females will lay eggs in rare case without a male in the aquarium. The eggs will be infertile and will not hatch. It's also scenarios where the female will turn aggressive towards the male after he fertilize the eggs. I've personally had two different specie of Cichlid females got extremely aggressive towards the male. Tbh just buying a random male may not work they naturally would pair up.

Reactions: Maria1230

Maria1230

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2019
Welcome aboard

Cichlid females will lay eggs in rare case without a male in the aquarium. The eggs will be infertile and will not hatch. It's also scenarios where the female will turn aggressive towards the male after he fertilize the eggs. I've personally had two different specie of Cichlid females got extremely aggressive towards the male. Tbh just buying a random male may not work they naturally would pair up.
Thank you very much! You say "rare cases", but one has already layed eggs twice in a row in the last 2 weeks and now the second one is starting as well. I'm just confused :))

Reactions: tlindsey

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I used to have a goldsaum female and an silversaum female in the same tank with no other tankmates and they did lay eggs simultanious from time to time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store