Arowana has potential fin rot? Original owner neglected him :(

Arowanablubber

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
I just bought an arowana from my friend who was definitely neglecting the fish's needs. When I moved the fish to my tank the water he had was unbelievably disgusting.
I moved the fish to my clean tank and I'm getting him used to his new home when I noticed some white around his tail fin and a little on his dorsal fin. After closer inspection there are no white dots on his fins but instead just looks like some white coloration. The fins don't look to be rotting away, atleast not yet.

I know fin rot comes from bad conditions so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? PLEASE HELP MY BEAUTIFUL NEW AROWANA.

The specs on my aquarium are all good, 0 ammonia, nitrate levels are all good. since my fish just moved to the tank he hasn't been actively eating yet. (I just got him on 9/22)

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

IMG_2725.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I don't see a Problem.
Keep the water clean feed him good food and everything should be all right.
+1. Should recover and maybe very early fin rot.

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
As stated above (and in your other post on same subject in Arowana sub-forum), this is most likely the beginning stages of fin rot -- and comparing your first and last pix it's clear that it's gotten worse.

Some advise Melafix for fin rot, some just recommend lots of water changes.

You say your nitrates levels are all good -- I'd be curious to know what is the number after you test the water.

Also how many inches is your Aro and what are dimensions of your tank -- I can't tell for sure but it looks kinda cramped in there, which can lead to stress and then immune system goes down, which leads to other issues.

We need more info to help you better buddy, if it is fin rot it should be addressed asap, it can start moving fast, resulting in serious if not fatal consequences.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store