submersible aquarium pump with float switch

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
All of the sump pumps with float switches or photo water level switches that I know of are pretty large... for pumping out flooded basements, etc.

What are you planning on using one for?
Yeah my dad uses one of those for his pond, I was thinking the same thing for my sump on my tank. I have a 20 long with a 15 gallon sump, that I'm trying to set up.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
A typical sump setup doesn't use a float switch. An overflow (think of it as a hole in the side of the tank at the water line) is used to return any water above the "hole" back to the sump. So a return pump (Look at a Jebao 4000 or so aquarium pump) pumps the water from the sump up to the main tank. As the water rises it goes over the over flow and falls (through tubing) back to the sump.

There are some good youtube vids that will give you a good visual of how an overflow and sump work... no float switches involved.

There are several reasons you don't want to use a "sump pump" with a float switch... they pump WAY too much water and they will put so much heat into the water that the tank temperature will go up until the fish boil.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
A typical sump setup doesn't use a float switch. An overflow (think of it as a hole in the side of the tank at the water line) is used to return any water above the "hole" back to the sump. So a return pump (Look at a Jebao 4000 or so aquarium pump) pumps the water from the sump up to the main tank. As the water rises it goes over the over flow and falls (through tubing) back to the sump.

There are some good youtube vids that will give you a good visual of how an overflow and sump work... no float switches involved.

There are several reasons you don't want to use a "sump pump" with a float switch... they pump WAY too much water and they will put so much heat into the water that the tank temperature will go up until the fish boil.
Yeah that's why I was looking for a small one with a float switch.

I've just heard stories of the overflow losing its suction or getting clogged and then the pump underneath just pumping all the water to the top, overflowing the too and burning out underneath. I was just hoping for an added layer of protection. But I guess I'll just do it with a regular small submersible pump. Thanks.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
The Jebao pumps have a no water detection feature. If they run dry they are supposed to shut themselves off.

That won't do anything about stopping an overflow flood though.

What is your opposition to drilling your main tank? Does it just sound too risky to you? Do you have a hand drill you can use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store