Adding a fish to an existing betta sorority

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
In my community tank I have 2 healthy happy betta females who were both introduced to the tank within days of each other. I was hoping to add another female to their sorority and found one I really loved the colors and markings of at a local store. I brought the new fish home, did the acclimation thing, placed her into the tank and things at first looked normal. She was a bit shy and nervous, there was a tiny bit of what looked to me like normal hierarchy mild chasing, and after an hour or so I wandered off for lunch. When I came back the new betta girl was deer-in-headlights frozen to the point I mistook her for dead, and ALL the other fish in the tank were nipping at her like... well, like fish eat at a dead fish. I still had her cup of water handy so I literally picked her out with my fingers and plopped her back in, and after a few seconds she started moving again, tho clearly stressed to the max (tail tight shut, fins close to body, trying to hide in crevasses of cup). I took her back to the store and made sure they knew she might need additional care.

I guess my question is... is this normal? Does an established sororoity of bettas often attack a newcommer? Is there a safer and better way to introduce a new betta to a sorority?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
You could always divide the tank and see how that goes before eventually removing the divider

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You could always divide the tank and see how that goes before eventually removing the divider
Agree here. Let them get used to each other before letting everyone meet again. Make sure you keep everything absolutely clean to promote recovery of the injured fish!

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I've found it's better to introduce more than one female betta at a time to reduce harassment by the established bettas. Betta sororities should be at least 6 or more. How big is the tank? What other tank mates?

Reactions: Hendre

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
I don't have a good way to divide the tank, and its not big enough for 6, I guess I got lucky with the 2 I have doing so well. I decided to invest in a hook on isolation box. The original fish is already back at petsmart, so I'm gonna let everyone in the tank relax for a while and the next time a female crowntail calls to me I can keep her isolated until her tankmates are used to her. I'm wondering if the same tricks I pulled introducing cats would help? To make sure no one felt any part of the house was theirs alone, I would rotate which cats were confined to which rooms. I know with cats its different and more smell related but it might work to switch out who is in the isolation box to help reduce their territorial tendencies?

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Yeah female bettas are definitely very territorial and have their pecking order. I kept six in a 20 long and they did okay but there was still one that always got picked on. The bigger the tank the better.

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Add a mirror to the glass then introduce the new one. The mirror should keep them distracted. Remove the mirror once the aggression dies down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store