2Pac?... or Too PACKed?!!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I’ll give up 6 months of my life for this goonch.
I’m sorry, but that’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. I know people who would give up the world for another second with a dead one, but you would trade 6 month of your life...? For a fish? That you couldn’t even keep? Jeez man... I should be kinder to you apparently....

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You have your opinions and I have mine.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I don't want this to sound racist but I genuinely want to know.....

Why do Asians love giant platinum/albino/white fish so much?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I don't want this to sound racist but I genuinely want to know.....

Why do Asians love giant platinum/albino/white fish so much?
Good question; I don't think it's color related (like believing red fish -- e.g. Arowana & Flowerhorn will bring good luck & prosperity, which is pretty much based on Chinese culture/mythology).

In the case of platinums/albinos my guess is it's mostly due to just wanting something different, and they may consider many 'normal' fish a bit blase because for a long time they have had much easier/cheaper access to them overall compared to their fish keeping counterparts in Western countries. So for some maybe it's kind of a been there done that kind of thing, and always looking for something new/different. Platinums & albinos also usually cost more, so it could be kind of a status symbol thing for some peeps.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Good question; I don't think it's color related (like believing red fish -- e.g. Arowana & Flowerhorn will bring good luck & prosperity, which is pretty much based on Chinese culture/mythology).

In the case of platinums/albinos my guess is it's mostly due to just wanting something different, and they may consider many 'normal' fish a bit blase because for a long time they have had much easier/cheaper access to them overall compared to their fish keeping counterparts in Western countries. So for some maybe it's kind of a been there done that kind of thing, and always looking for something new/different. Platinums & albinos also usually cost more, so it could be kind of a status symbol thing for some peeps.
I thought it was either some kind of feng shui/luck/superstition or status thing too. Even when I was in Hong Kong and went to the aquarium street I noticed lots more albinos for even common species than you would see elsewhere. For me a platinum gar is super rare, I've never even seen one in Australia and doubt I ever will but walk down that street and you see heaps of them. Each to their own I guess, was just curious as they seem so common and popular in that part of the world.

Reactions: islandguy11

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
IMO asians is all about the wierd stuff no matter what its about :headbang2 :nilly:
All of the cool stuff goes to asia, Japan, or places like them. It’s a real shame since they probably get stuff we don’t even know about.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Thats because they are willing to pay the top dollar.
In my Country the market for big and expensive fishes is not that big.
And everybody is looking for the best price.
I Think its a status thing in asia.
They want to show that they have the money and the rarest stuff in their Tanks.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thats because they are willing to pay the top dollar.
In my Country the market for big and expensive fishes is not that big.
And everybody is looking for the best price.
I Think its a status thing in asia.
They want to show that they have the money and the rarest stuff in their Tanks.
Agree in that. Here in sweden its all about the best price on the fish.

Btw malte you dont happen to know of anyone in germany that ships and has some large panaques? Im on the hunt for an large L203 and L190. Preferably 35-40cm+

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store