What is the Hi-Fin Banded Shark(Sucker) growth rate?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I was thinking about getting some baby hi-fin banded sharks but I plan growing them up a bit in a tank so they will be at least 6”-8” long when they go into my koi pond; I also plan on getting a 220 gallon aquarium soon that I could move them to grow koi in, but the tank I have now is a 78 gallon and I am worried that it may be to small to grow them in. Because if they grow fast I figured I would want to wait until I get the 220 and finish the pond before I get them, then I would just grow them up with my koi and simply start some goldfish in the tanks I have now ( the largest being the 78 gallon). So I was curious actually how fast they grow? I tried doing my own research but I can’t seem to get a straight forward answer, just that they get big and are best suited for large ponds, which I know.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To nail down a specific growth rate is very difficult, because growth is most influenced by amount and frequency of water changes any aquarist does.
If your change 25% per month, they will growth much slower, and be less healthy than if you change 50% per week , or slower than if you change 40% every 3 days.
And in a tiny tank like 78gal, you will need to change a lot of water to keep water quality reasonable, and increase the amount of changes as they grow.

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
To nail down a specific growth rate is very difficult, because growth is most influenced by amount and frequency of water changes any aquarist does.
If your change 25% per month, they will growth much slower, and be less healthy than if you change 50% per week , or slower than if you change 40% every 3 days.
And in a tiny tank like 78gal, you will need to change a lot of water to keep water quality reasonable, and increase the amount of changes as they grow.
I do 1/3 water changes on all of my tanks twice a week ( I keep goldfish so I am constantly doing water); but to be safe I think I am going to go with my gut and wait until I get the 220 gallon and finish the koi pond then I can get at least 5 of them and be able move them as soon as the pond is cycled and they are big enough to go in. Seems like that would be the best idea and better for them, which is the most important thing!

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I do 1/3 water changes on all of my tanks twice a week ( I keep goldfish so I am constantly doing water); but to be safe I think I am going to go with my gut and wait until I get the 220 gallon and finish the koi pond then I can get at least 5 of them and be able move them as soon as the pond is cycled and they are big enough to go in. Seems like that would be the best idea and better for them, which is the most important thing!
I think I may get hoplo catfish for that tank instead! I was going to add some to the stocking list for my fancy goldfish pond but I was not sure if they would be alright in the koi and common goldfish pond because of their smaller size?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I think I may get hoplo catfish for that tank instead! I was going to add some to the stocking list for my fancy goldfish pond but I was not sure if they would be alright in the koi and common goldfish pond because of their smaller size?
The hi-fins will be happier in the 5000g pond; so I will wait on them ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store