Convict hybrid

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
We got this fish from the pet store nearly a year ago now. We were trying to get a convict cichlid but recently we got some full blooded convict cichlids and really realized how different it was. We are figuring it's a hybrid. Any guesses as to the other species? Its lived with a female convict and an oscar for the year we have had it so we just figured that's how the males look. He does get the dark convict stripes when he gets upset or territorial.

20191217_161024.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Could be a hybrid, convicts are notorious for spawning and will with anything if there’s not a mate around.
It looks like a washed out male to me.
I bet if you tried a darker substrate you would see more of the nature color come out.

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
Thanks guys. My mom and I were both leaning towards the firemouth and convict mix. We did put him with the other convicts which look much greyer than he does. And looking at his fins much closer I see a slight reddish tint to them that's hard to see.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Unit-3

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with the other guys on the firemouth mix. It definitely has that head shape and finnage, which I haven't seen on convicts. I'm limited in my knowledge, so don't quote me, please.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store