Flowerhorn food

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'll usually feed my FH 10-12 pellets, they wouldn't touch any more pellets after that. I have the mixed pellets with Hikari bio-gold plus, okiko platinum and Alife (HaiFeng).
That sounds bad. Fish not wanting any more food most probably means you overfed.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah, go easy on the food. Let your eyes be the guide as to how much it requires for food. Also, back when I was keeping flowerhorns NLS didn't have it's AlgaeMax formula, but today I would certainly add that formula to any FH that I kept. I feed it to all of my fish on rotation, good stuff, for color, and overall health. I look forward to seeing this fish as it matures.
I have hikari Algae wafers for now, I will use those up. Any high Spirulina pallets would be better? I heard it's good for perals.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
NLS AlgaeMax. IMHO by far the best algae based pellets on the market.

PangDe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2019
Are these mini pellets or medium?
How big is your Fh?
Medium size, mini for Hikari since their pellet size is 1 size bigger compare to others. I got 4 FH, they about the same size 3.5"-4"

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Medium size, mini for Hikari since their pellet size is 1 size bigger compare to others. I got 4 FH, they about the same size 3.5"-4"
My little guy which is roughly 3.5" (eyeballing it) can consume 30 mini Hikari pellets in 1 minute... and still wants more. I think that's waaay too much. I only tried that amount once for a feeding as a test and stopped at 30 because I just said that's enough dude sheesh. I feed him 15 mini pellets 2x daily. I fast him every 3rd day. He seems happy, and healthy; constantly on the prowl for food in his feeding corner.

Reactions: Ruturaj

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
My little guy which is roughly 3.5" (eyeballing it) can consume 30 mini Hikari pellets in 1 minute... and still wants more. I think that's waaay too much. I only tried that amount once for a feeding as a test and stopped at 30 because I just said that's enough dude sheesh. I feed him 15 mini pellets 2x daily. I fast him every 3rd day. He seems happy, and healthy; constantly on the prowl for food in his feeding corner.
Sounds like a solid feeding regimen.

Reactions: JSpilo

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
From the link posted above .....

Feeding fish is part art, part science. As far as how much, the easiest method for the average fish keeper is let your eyes be your guide. If the fish is looking skinny, feed more, if the fish is looking obese, cut back & feed less. This will vary among species, even among fish within the same species, regardless of overall weight/size, due to the energy expended by the fish in a glass box. So in order to properly meet those energy requirements, and depending on how nutrient dense your food is, or isn't, can cause WIDE variations in what each fish requires for optimum or ideal growth. Commercial vendors clearly have different goals than someone raising a pet fish in a 90 gallon.

Do not feed to satiation as most fish are hard wired to overfeed. (feast/famine)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store