Flowerhorn Newbie

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Hello everyone. I just recently bought a flowerhorn I pick up tomorrow. I've been keeping fish for 12 years. My past fish have all been piranhas. I'20200118_105444.jpgScreenshot_20200115-213150_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200115-213143_Gallery.jpgve kept red bellies, purple and red sanchezis, a gold mac, a ruby red spilo, a gold diamond rhom, and a black rhom. Most recently I was growing out some red bellies that I had for a year and a half. I was gone for Army training and the guy that was taking care of them for me accidentally killed them. Sad day. After recycling my tank and doing a lot of research I decided I wanted to try out a cichlid. I love the look and personality of flowerhorns. I attached a picture of my tank set up and pictures of my new fish. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: BigShawn

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Fish looks pretty good and tank too. Plants won't last long though. You might have to get rid of driftwood in there. For food go for any NLS, I am using NLS ultrared. Are those shrimps in there?

Welcome and happy flowerhorn keeping. You are going to love it.

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Yeah I figured plants wouldn't last long but I had them in there from before. Just java fern and moss so if he destroys them no biggie. They are goldfish I'm taking out before I put him in there.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Flowerhorns are such awesome fish. I have been enjoying them as wet pets since 2002. That dark gravel looks nice but it might make your flowerhorn turn more of a dark red or charcoal red color. If you see this don't worry you just need to change your gravel to a lighter color. That Red Dragon is really nice looking. Make sure he is actively eating before you buy him. That is my golden rule before I buy a flowerhorn!!!! Also make sure you tank is fully cycled before you put him in there. Flowerhorns are very sensitive to nitrates and nitrites.

Reactions: jjohnwm and Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The guy at the pet store says he's chasing fingers and eats like crazy. He has him on blood red parrot+ pellets.
That's a good food. If it wasn't clear from man made fish's answer the type is red dragon and seems to be of pretty good quality. How much is the shop charging you?

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
He said he was a grade A? I'm totally new so no idea what that means. I wasn't even sure what kind of flowerhorn he is. I just know he looked good compared to what I saw online ABC's was priced well. Plus I don't have to pay 50+ for shipping.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store