Flowerhorn Newbie

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Find or make a grooming mirror and let him attack it for a little bit each day. He may be intimidated by it at first, but he'll get used to it and eventually want to kill it. I have one that was in a tank next to a male in another tank and kok got huge. I moved him to a tank without site of the other male and it shrank to nothing. Back to the tank next to the other male and blew back up again in 2 weeks. Only problems is he started fading in the meantime and got fugly. I couldn't change the order of the pics....1st is after I put him back next to male...2nd is not near the other male...and 3rd is next to other male before separation.

70623436_426138417880557_7650940413359947776_n.png

cbs.jpg

chalupa batman.jpg

Reactions: Ruturaj

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Find or make a grooming mirror and let him attack it for a little bit each day. He may be intimidated by it at first, but he'll get used to it and eventually want to kill it. I have one that was in a tank next to a male in another tank and kok got huge. I moved him to a tank without site of the other male and it shrank to nothing. Back to the tank next to the other male and blew back up again in 2 weeks. Only problems is he started fading in the meantime and got fugly. I couldn't change the order of the pics....1st is after I put him back next to male...2nd is not near the other male...and 3rd is next to other male before separation.

View attachment 1402513

Thanks. I'll try that when he gets a little bigger and more comfortable.

View attachment 1402514

View attachment 1402515

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA

View attachment 1402513

View attachment 1402514

View attachment 1402515
Wow man, such a beautiful fish. Not bad after fading but before fading he was gorgeous. Shrank kok looks weird. How long do you leave the mirror in the tank?

Reactions: Ozzie73

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Fishenvy Fishenvy don't take it in a wrong way. I just don't believe shrimps/prawns are going to provide anything more than pallets would. Pallets are actually safer and kind of complete meal for fish. As flowerhorns are omnivores mix food is better for them than meaty foods.
Ok so if you eat fatty foods will your body mass grow? If u eat healthy diet will your belly still get bigger?

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Wow man, such a beautiful fish. Not bad after fading but before fading he was gorgeous. Shrank kok looks weird. How long do you leave the mirror in the tank?
I did not use a mirror. I haven't used mirrors myself personally because I for some stupid reason always have too many flowerhorn. I used another male in a tank next to his so they were exposed to each other full time. I always suggest a mirror in case the option of multiple tanks isn't readily available. It took about 3 weeks for his kok to shrivel up...that sounds hilarious...lol....but after putting him back next to the other male it was back in just a little over 2 weeks. I'm about ready to quit trying to breed my fireman's dream and get him next to another male and see what happens.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ok so if you eat fatty foods will your body mass grow? If u eat healthy diet will your belly still get bigger?
I am not going to answer that, it will only make conversation complicated not simple. Fish and me are not same, I am a mamal (warm blooded animal) and that's fish (cold blooded animal). Healthy diet for human is subjective (what you think is healthy vs what I think).

What does a shrimp/prawn contains that a pallet food won't provide or provide less of? Are you saying prawn content would be building block for kok, i.e. provide every nutrient needed for kok in exact quantity?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I did not use a mirror. I haven't used mirrors myself personally because I for some stupid reason always have too many flowerhorn. I used another male in a tank next to his so they were exposed to each other full time. I always suggest a mirror in case the option of multiple tanks isn't readily available. It took about 3 weeks for his kok to shrivel up...that sounds hilarious...lol....but after putting him back next to the other male it was back in just a little over 2 weeks. I'm about ready to quit trying to breed my fireman's dream and get him next to another male and see what happens.
Sorry I read your full comment and instead of asking for recommended time to leave mirror in, I asked how long you leave it in. Having multiple flowerhorns must be good. I always wanted to make goldfish and oscar tank (and asian arowana but they are illegal here, so not counting those in), so if I get more tanks, 4th tank would be for flowerhorn.

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
He really likes my heater. Every time he sees the light come on he sits by it until he sees something move them attacks Haha. He will even bump my heater when the light comes on.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store