Flowerhorn food

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The White Sturgeon, the largest freshwater carnivore in the world, with specimens maturing at over 10ft in length, and weighing in at an excess of 1,000 pounds, in captivity are raised on approx. 45% protein as juveniles, and 40% as adults. As a cold water species they require a high fat content in their feed (for energy requirements, and to spare protein use in that regards) , but even this majestic long lived carnivore does not require anywhere near the 60% protein level that some amateurs feed their flowerhorn, which at best, is an opportunistic omnivorous group of fish.

Unfortunately, as a good friend of mine explained to me years ago, you can't stop stupid.

ref: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405654516302037

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
It has been that way for years. Glad you see through it.
The White Sturgeon, the largest freshwater carnivore in the world, with specimens maturing at over 10ft in length, and weighing in at an excess of 1,000 pounds, in captivity are raised on approx. 45% protein as juveniles, and 40% as adults. As a cold water species they require a high fat content in their feed (for energy requirements, and to spare protein use in that regards) , but even this majestic long lived carnivore does not require anywhere near the 60% protein level that some amateurs feed their flowerhorn, which at best, is an opportunistic omnivorous group of fish.

Unfortunately, as a good friend of mine explained to me years ago, you can't stop stupid.

ref: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405654516302037
I feel bad when people who don't know anything start there and these predators tell them to buy expensive food and minerals, keep tank at 86+ or 90.

There was this guy who was waiting for his paycheck to come, so that he can buy mineral bath salt when all he wanted was healthy fish.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I was looking in to fish foods available in India, found northfin india, food is expensive but not as much as NLS in there, but still not affordable for a normal hobbyist. Interesting thing I found was they sell a combo for flowerhorns, I don't see this recommendation anywhere else.

Both advertise at least 42 and 43% protein, may be should have added some veggie pallet in combo.

Screenshot_20200128-224629_Chrome.jpg

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
I now feed mine Northfin Koi Supreme along with Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+. I can only feed mine floating pellets because he only stares at the surface when I feed him and doesn't realize food is dropping.

• Haha
Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I now feed mine Northfin Koi Supreme along with Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+. I can only feed mine floating pellets because he only stares at the surface when I feed him and doesn't realize food is dropping.
Mine used to do that too, after some discussion here I started feeding him 2 pallets then 5 second gap routine. Northfin tropical sticks floats, so you have that option.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah, go easy on the food. Let your eyes be the guide as to how much it requires for food. Also, back when I was keeping flowerhorns NLS didn't have it's AlgaeMax formula, but today I would certainly add that formula to any FH that I kept. I feed it to all of my fish on rotation, good stuff, for color, and overall health. I look forward to seeing this fish as it matures.
RD. Should I feed him AlgaeMax once a week or as a 10% of his diet everyday or in some other routine?

Surprising thing I saw is AlgaeMax has a flowerhorn picture on it for few sizes.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
10-20% incorporated into his daily diet would be good.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
10-20% incorporated into his daily diet would be good.
Thank you RD. I would do that.

One more question, his poop used to be all orange brown color but for last few days it has been white or black, I am adding a picture. Is it something unhealthy?

Only thing changed was I added some methlyne blue and pH was 8.4 compared to usual 7.4, everything else seems normal.

20200201_145933.jpg

marketing 101
Yep, that would work in India. But that might work out well in US as well, too many people think flowerhorn was made using magic instead of CA cichlids.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry, no idea on the waste change, possibly from the meds.

Marketing works everywhere, the average consumer is lazy & gullible. They see what they want/desire/like, and they jump at the latest gimmicky bling that someone puts out there. The average FH keeper isn't going to feed food that has a discus on the label, even though the average discus food is high in protein and fat, and geared more towards larger gains in growth, due to discus often being finicky eaters. Take the same formula, increase the pellet size, slap a masterpiece designer FH on the label with a giant kok, and boom, instant sales to FH keepers. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store