Sunshine pleco?

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Obviously each fish within it's species will vary from fish to fish as well as colors based on collection points but here's a picture of my L114 and L253 to show some differences that'll give them away.

Top fish is L114. Generally these have a lighter base color with white spots and yellow/orange edges on the fins. When young the whole tail is sometimes orange but it'll fill in until it's just the edge.

L253 has more of a black base with more yellow spots.it has yellow in it's fins but not the trim. The dorsal and tail are consistent with the body color/pattern.

Both have white bellies.

There are a bunch of other similar scobinancistrus that can confuse things, especially because color and dot size varies from fish to fish. The other common one out there is L48. These are also usually black based like the L253 but have darker more orange/brown spots. The L48's belly is also sort of marbles in appearance and not white.

Hope this helps!

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Obviously each fish within it's species will vary from fish to fish as well as colors based on collection points but here's a picture of my L114 and L253 to show some differences that'll give them away.

Top fish is L114. Generally these have a lighter base color with white spots and yellow/orange edges on the fins. When young the whole tail is sometimes orange but it'll fill in until it's just the edge.

L253 has more of a black base with more yellow spots.it has yellow in it's fins but not the trim. The dorsal and tail are consistent with the body color/pattern.

Both have white bellies.

There are a bunch of other similar scobinancistrus that can confuse things, especially because color and dot size varies from fish to fish. The other common one out there is L48. These are also usually black based like the L253 but have darker more orange/brown spots. The L48's belly is also sort of marbles in appearance and not white.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1404417

View attachment 1404418
Good post. Beautiful tank and plecos.
I’m sure it was just a typo.
Just to avoid confusion if someone reads this that’s not as experienced with these animals. It’s L014 not L114 .

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Simonas Simonas
I think most places these two are similarly priced.
If anything the L253 is a little harder to find.

DarkOne

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
NJ
I got them at Discus Madness for $99 ea. One of the guys there knew I was looking for a Sunshine and got in touch with me when they got 5. I picked up 2 the next day and they sold out within a few days. I went to a few LFS yesterday and saw a L014 about the same size for $129. I also saw 2 almost fully grown 10-12" L253's for $250 at 2 different LFS.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store