Flowerhorn food

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I think the blue background will bring out a higher shine level in your kamfa.
Thanks I will go with blue side then, it's removable and can be reused. I started to like lighter shade of red and yellow on him with shiny pearls.

20200223_153458.jpg

Will this be better, worse, same? I like the looks of this more than that blue.

510UoSPMnoL._AC_SY400_.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The last one looks pretty cool. I guess try it & see how it goes? Good luck

Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The last one looks pretty cool. I guess try it & see how it goes? Good luck
That one is supposed to be hold using duct tape.

Found another one that is Self-clinging, reusable vinyl but costs 96

AquariumVinyl_Product_Vinyl_MangroveRoot_2.jpg

I found this on PetSmart website, it statically clinges to the glass as well and costs only 24

5269046.jpeg

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
That one is supposed to be hold using duct tape.

Found another one that is Self-clinging, reusable vinyl but costs 96

View attachment 1406627

I found this on PetSmart website, it statically clinges to the glass as well and costs only 24

View attachment 1406628
Get the self clinging if possible. Get the cheapest if $$ is an issue of course, if not get the one you really want.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Get the self clinging if possible. Get the cheapest if $$ is an issue of course, if not get the one you really want.
Both are self clinging, I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it, I am really not sure if it is in this case.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
RD. RD. When you say high protein for flowerhorn causes gastrointestinal issues, I assume you mean bloat (slow moving of food through intestines), right? I read this at multiple places, is there a good reference to it?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bloat is a symptom, not a disease per se. Gastrointestinal stress is exactly what it sounds like, stress from eating too much, or the wrong type, of food. Both conditions can lead to outbreaks of Spironucleus aka Hexamita, bacterial outbreaks, etc. If I was you, I would just enjoy my FH, and let the idiots on Facebook feed their fish whatever they want.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Bloat is a symptom, not a disease per se. Gastrointestinal stress is exactly what it sounds like, stress from eating too much, or the wrong type, of food. Both conditions can lead to outbreaks of Spironucleus aka Hexamita, bacterial outbreaks, etc. If I was you, I would just enjoy my FH, and let the idiots on Facebook feed their fish whatever they want.
Thank you RD. I just can't look at these comments

"You need a high protein food designed for kok development such as Excalibur Mass Effect."

"Protein has been known in flowerhorns to increase the kok size."

"Scott, most people that have an intimate knowledge of fh would disagree with you. High protein foods for most fish are naturally occurring in the wild. Such as insects, larva, and even other fish. Since fh were created from fish that have had very high protein diets, and many Flowerhorns have had high protein diets and lived very long lives. Also, when feeding and grooming, this is not just feeding a constant diet of super high protein food their entire lives. There are also other factors beyond clean water and genetics you said were the only things that matter. If you have a temp that is around 82-86 you are probably going to have a kok that is bigger than the same fish at a lower temp of 76-78. Having a large enough tank will also play a role in kok and developmental growth in a fh. Telling people that a high protein diet will kill your flowerhorn is both wrong and silly. I am surprised that in your 10 years of fh keeping, that you haven’t come across some of this basic knowledge of fish keeping in relations to flowerhorns. But hey, everything in the internet must be true. Cheers ~"

"Yes, most people. This isn’t about sales. You can choose many Foods that can increase many factors in Fh. Excalibar is not the only one that does. I am a fish keeper 1st and foremost. Biology is what I was referencing in my statements (some were deleted when you removed your statement about food not mattering) about tank size, food, water, temp. Etc Those are biological areas that fish have certain parameters. If you ignore them, the fish will not flourish. I guess you could call me a salesmen for the areas to improve your fh quality of life and keep them healthy."

Excalibur Mass Effect which is being recommended has min 57% protein. The guy Scott had a different view and was finally kicked out. It feels wrong to be a bystander.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
"High protein foods for most fish are naturally occurring in the wild. Such as insects, larva, and even other fish."

Which of course is incorrect - those natural foods, found in nature, are comprised or 70-90% water content, which unlike in dry foods (which are typically 5-10% moisture content), drives the value of crude protein percentage way down. As an example;

A typical analysis of freeze dried bloodworms.

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein - 55%
Min. Crude Fat - 3%
Max. Crude Fiber - 5%
Max. Moisture - 5%

A typical analysis of frozen bloodworms. (from the same manufacturer as above)

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein - 6.3%
Min. Crude Fat - 0.8%
Max. Crude Fiber - 0.3%
Max. Moisture - 91.2%

High protein? Not likely! High water content, most certainly.

I would love to see pics of all of these FH fed very high protein dry pellet foods, that lived very long lives. Even the most pampered designer fish, including FH, have relatively short lifespans, and are typically more prone to health issues, compared to non line bred, non-designer fish. Is is for this exact reason why I no longer keep FH.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
"High protein foods for most fish are naturally occurring in the wild. Such as insects, larva, and even other fish."

Which of course is incorrect - those natural foods, found in nature, are comprised or 70-90% water content, which unlike in dry foods (which are typically 5-10% moisture content), drives the value of crude protein percentage way down. As an example;

A typical analysis of freeze dried bloodworms.

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein - 55%
Min. Crude Fat - 3%
Max. Crude Fiber - 5%
Max. Moisture - 5%

A typical analysis of frozen bloodworms. (from the same manufacturer as above)

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein - 6.3%
Min. Crude Fat - 0.8%
Max. Crude Fiber - 0.3%
Max. Moisture - 91.2%

High protein? Not likely! High water content, most certainly.

I would love to see pics of all of these FH fed very high protein dry pellet foods, that lived very long lives. Even the most pampered designer fish, including FH, have relatively short lifespans, and are typically more prone to health issues, compared to non line bred, non-designer fish. Is is for this exact reason why I no longer keep FH.
I guess one more important thing is density of our fish food, which is very high. All nutrients needs should be suffice from a much smaller volume than they would consume in wild.

That guy continuously makes claims like that, he is the owner of Excalibur. I guess he uses words than number like 'very long lives' so may be later he can claim whatever number he wants as long, carefully leave the norm out and compare it to extreme like he omitted 78-82 range in discussion. He is a good salesman and good at deceiving.

Only thing I saw in these groups in horrendously swollen stomachs on fish, fish dying because of swim bladder or some other disease, people buying new fish, and about magic food showing fry and adult pictures. Most people who claim they had flowerhorns for many years are the one selling food, thai minerals etc and every follower is new comer to fish. I think only one guy posted of his fish dying of old age but he was in some asian country and was feeding some local brand.

I am going to see how long this guy lives but he might be my last flowerhorn as well. I think your African cichlid tank pictures just spoiled me and that's all I am thinking now. How long did your flowerhorns lived?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store