Black acara?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
“Black Acara” was a common name for Cichlasoma. They were also called “Port Cichlids.” This is a group of similar-looking species of Cichlasoma that are identified by location, number of hard spines in the anal fin, presence/lack of scales in the dorsal and anal fin bases, etc.

The most common and widespread seems to be C. amazonarum. Then you have the southernmost species with pretty green and blue iridescence, C. dimerus. C. bimaculatum is the official “black acara” if memory serves me correctly, but they are more drab and brown than the ones in your photos. C. portalegrense was the “port acara/cichlid” and at one point I think they were all considered that species, but their range is now considered much more restricted and other species have been described. So using that common name is a bit confusing now.

IMO yours look like amazonarum but you’d need good shots of their anal fins extended so you could count the spines and also see if the scales overlap into the base of the fins.

The best people to ask about Cichlasoma IMO are D dogofwar Mahlerfan Mahlerfan and Ken Davis, but I don’t know if any of them still post here.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
“Black Acara” was a common name for Cichlasoma. They were also called “Port Cichlids.” This is a group of similar-looking species of Cichlasoma that are identified by location, number of hard spines in the anal fin, presence/lack of scales in the dorsal and anal fin bases, etc.

The most common and widespread seems to be C. amazonarum. Then you have the southernmost species with pretty green and blue iridescence, C. dimerus. C. bimaculatum is the official “black acara” if memory serves me correctly, but they are more drab and brown than the ones in your photos. C. portalegrense was the “port acara/cichlid” and at one point I think they were all considered that species, but their range is now considered much more restricted and other species have been described. So using that common name is a bit confusing now.

IMO yours look like amazonarum but you’d need good shots of their anal fins extended so you could count the spines and also see if the scales overlap into the base of the fins.

The best people to ask about Cichlasoma IMO are D dogofwar Mahlerfan Mahlerfan and Ken Davis, but I don’t know if any of them still post here.
Agree with this, the common name could mean any of about a dozen species of the Cichlasoma genus.
So yes it looks like one of those, they can be quite chameleon like under different conditions.
Here is Cichlasoma dimerus "Bella Union" Uruguay to compare,

Above in a brightly lit tank.
Below pulled right from my pond

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia

I want to get them established eating and doing well then during a water change I’ll net them and try and get some good pictures for you. Thanks very much. Quite informative

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In many cases its a matter of counting soft fin rays in telling one from the other.
Or knowing which river system one comes from to determine species.
For example Cichlasoma orientale, comes only from the Bandi river system,
while Cichlasoma orinocense comes from the Rio Meta system in Colombia, whereas C portaleguense is restricted to Porto Alegre Brazil.
I find them all very difficult to tell apart, just by looking.
This is why when I posted the pic of C dimerous, I included "Bella Union" Uruguay. Without that info, it could have been any of the dozen Cichlasoma species.
Back in the old days, they were all just considered port cichlids, or port acaras, and they all looked alike.
No one knew there were at least 12 separate species.

Last edited:

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Given the discussion using common names I've never heard of the black port/acara associated with anything other than bimaculatum?
If you look at all the old books I think the “port cichlids” were always considered Cichlasoma portalegrense (or as they were called then, Aequidens portalegrensis). But most of them were probably not truly C. portalegrense due to their restricted range.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store