Do African and South american cichlids can cross breed?

mfehmi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2010
Puerto Rico
Since most of the African cichlid are mouthbrooders and SA and CA cichlids are mostly egg guardians, I think that the best way to go is to use an African male and a SA/CA female. Maybe I will give it a try just to see what happens.

Crafty Chris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I believe that this little one is a cross between South America Convict and African Cichlid. It's got some different color and the face is different but it has the black lines of the Convict. It also hangs out right with the male and female Convicts without any aggressive behavior from the

20200425_203824.jpg

20200425_203822.jpg

20200425_203544.jpg

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I believe that this little one is a cross between South America Convict and African Cichlid. It's got some different color and the face is different but it has the black lines of the Convict. It also hangs out right with the male and female Convicts without any aggressive behavior from the

View attachment 1414920

View attachment 1414921

View attachment 1414922
That’s just a African cichlid that can coexist with a convict. Just because it has stripes and looks different that a different African cichlid doesn’t mean they have convict genes in it.

Reactions: RD.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Well I believe that it does. It was definitely born in that tank and has always been in that cave with them
So what makes you believe this is a hybrid of an African and convict?
Did you witness it?
Are there more than one African in the same tank ?
If so my guess this is an African probably mbuna and female. But it is small so
I could be wrong.
Probably the result of two Africans spawning in the tank, not a hybrid African x convict.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
One more thing is that the breeding behavior is drastically different between the two groups. One being an egg guarder and the other mouth brooder, so I guess even if we assume that the number of chromosomes is equal (I doubt it), they are unlikely to just figure out a spawning behavior that suits both species. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, I think it's a good thing to have realistic expectations. Just my 2¢. Happy fishkeeping

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If it was an easy task you would see it all over YouTube etc of people crossing this with that. The fact you don't see any tells you how hard it is to do. May be easier in a lab setting to cross let's say a Rift lake Peacock with a Convict. But that doesn't mean the fish themselves can do it with the vastly different breeding rituals and fry rearing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store