Best monster fish for a beginner

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
And also tbh if anything i might just fill the pond with a good amount of clown loaches and just maybe a peacock bass if can catch a really small one though

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
And also tbh if anything i might just fill the pond with a good amount of clown loaches and just maybe a peacock bass if can catch a really small one though
I personally wouldn't put any clown loach with a Pbass unless its very short term and the Clown is massive and the pass is tiny , any clown loach thats big enough to not be eaten cost more than your pool will and personally that's not a risk I'd take. If you can keep those clown loaches all alive for about 10 years you could have some major profit if you sell them off, and some awesome fish for yourself. But that's a big investment and a pretty boring fish to watch grow in a pool for 10 years. I've had my 3 tiny loaches in a 40gal fry tank for a year and they hardly grew at all with perfect water conditions.

If your in Florida I would go get a lot of your fish with a fishing pole, I don't know the laws for down there but I know a lot of cool invasive fish can be caught. I'd start cheep and work your way up to expensive fish. If I were you I would fill that pond with Pbass and a channel cat ( i have no expirence with channel cats so make sure it would work)
and watch is explode everytime you throw a handful of shrimp in, save the calm mellow fish like loaches for your living room tanks when you get there. It's up to you and people on the internet shouldn't change your mind if you have something you like.

I personally wouldn't put any clown loach with a Pbass unless its very short term and the Clown is massive and the pass is tiny , any clown loach thats big enough to not be eaten cost more than your pool will and personally that's not a risk I'd take. If you can keep those clown loaches all alive for about 10 years you could have some major profit if you sell them off, and some awesome fish for yourself. But that's a big investment and a pretty boring fish to watch grow in a pool for 10 years. I've had my 3 tiny loaches in a 40gal fry tank for a year and they hardly grew at all with perfect water conditions.

If your in Florida I would go get a lot of your fish with a fishing pole, I don't know the laws for down there but I know a lot of cool invasive fish can be caught. I'd start cheep and work your way up to expensive fish. If I were you I would fill that pond with Pbass and a channel cat ( i have no expirence with channel cats so make sure it would work)
and watch is explode everytime you throw a handful of shrimp in, save the calm mellow fish like loaches for your living room tanks when you get there. It's up to you and people on the internet shouldn't change your mind if you have something you like.
Most invasive fish here are illegal.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Ok, you like clown loaches you say, why not get like a 225 gallon tank and 2 125s and grow them out into the 225 then sell them for extra money towards your fish room then keep buying them?

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Ok, you like clown loaches you say, why not get like a 225 gallon tank and 2 125s and grow them out into the 225 then sell them for extra money towards your fish room then keep buying them?
It cost so much more money then making a pond i live near the everglades so its perfect weather for most fish so why not use it

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
It cost so much more money then making a pond i live near the everglades so its perfect weather for most fish so why not use it
indeed, florida is a great climate for raising fish outside. However, I strongly suggest you take some time to plan out what you truly want and build whatever it is you plan on building before getting any fish that will outgrow your 30g. This is the main reason why we can be so stubborn about suggesting people wait, you never know if down the road you might want to keep something else or change up the plan as youre doing right now and then youre stuck with a large growing fish that you cannot release back into the wild. Personally, I feel like setting up an aquatic ecosystem (tank) is just as fun as looking for fish to add to it. So, in the meantime I strongly encourage your idea of building your own pond set up, or large aquarium, whichever one you want. Once you have it you can get anything your heart desires that would fit inside it and, especially with younger fish, youll find your fish will grow faster and become more energetic with all the room to swim.

Believe me when I say, peacock bass are not programmed to just look vibrant no matter what. To some degree, yes they will color up. But, the more you can optimize their situation the healthier and higher quality they will look. If you look online youll see theres always a difference between the bass stuck in someones 3ft tank obviously hating life and the ones who were raised with area to swim.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Also, if you want something cool and aggressive for your 30g in the meantime, try exodons

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store