My Fluval 207 flooded...

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
I setup a fluval 207 about 2 weeks ago for my terrapin tank. From the get go it had a few problems for example if I changed the flow rate the filter would stop working form time to time and eventually stop. I got it to work but today after waking up most of the water in terrarium was gone and had leaked onto the floor.

Has this happened to anyone, how could it have happened?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Could you tell where the water leaked from in the canister filter?

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
Could you tell where the water leaked from in the canister filter?
I think it from the head of the filter, the thing where you can release the clamps and take off. It could have come out from there.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It could me the seal isn't seated properly or it's time for a new seal if the current one has been damaged or is compressed over time. Seals and o-rings are wear items and need to be replaced eventually.

Canister filters aren't really ideal for partially water filled tanks though the usual complaints are difficulty priming or reducex water flow depending on the placement of the filter in relation to the aquarium rim.

Any pics of the terrapin tank set up and filter placement?

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
It could me the seal isn't seated properly or it's time for a new seal if the current one has been damaged or is compressed over time. Seals and o-rings are wear items and need to be replaced eventually.

Canister filters aren't really ideal for partially water filled tanks though the usual complaints are difficulty priming or reducex water flow depending on the placement of the filter in relation to the aquarium rim.

Any pics of the terrapin tank set up and filter placement?
Sure.IMG_20200428_113348.jpg1588095996806201667637258486238.jpg15880960104745749998258095292087.jpg

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
90% sure the 207 isnt rated to lift more than 4.5ins. But I run mine out of recommend as well with no issues other than extra bubbles here and there.

Did you adjust the flow rate with just the grey lever or is there a chance the red lever was lifted?

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
Do you have the latches closed all of the way until you hear them click onto the motorhead which means they are locked in placed? I have a 30 gallon long turtle tank with a Male Red Eared Slider in it and I run a AC70 on it. It is filled a little more than half way, never loses it's prime and you have worry about it leaking all over your floor.

Reactions: Justepic

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
90% sure the 207 isnt rated to lift more than 4.5ins. But I run mine out of recommend as well with no issues other than extra bubbles here and there.

Did you adjust the flow rate with just the grey lever or is there a chance the red lever was lifted?
I am pretty sure the red lever was not lifted however whenever I changed the flow rate, the filter would stop working, start up, then stop working.

I am pretty sure I clamped the lid shut tight but I have to be Super sure next time. I might use the ol warranty and get a replacement if I can.

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
I am pretty sure I clamped the lid shut tight but I have to be Super sure next time. I might use the ol warranty and get a replacement if I can.
There are two stages to closing it. Stage one latches the motorhead to the filter container . Stage two locks it by pressing the upper end of the latches closest to he top of the motorhead inward until you hear it click. There is a second set of teeth at this end of the latch that clips over a bump on the head. Not sure if your doing this or not. I never realized they were there when I first got my 406's a few years back until I spotted them one time when I servicing them and thought to myself what's with this so I pushed on them and they clicked into place. Also you have to make sure the O Ring is in good shape, greased and clean as well as the track that it sits into.

Reactions: Justepic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store