I need serious helpppppp!!

alohafishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, I’m Jason, my country has been in lockdown for the past 8 weeks so I wasn’t able to do water changes for my fishes. My parents help me during this period but since they weren’t so sure what to do, the water quality in the tank was pretty bad. I just got back home I found out that my giant gourami has fallen sick but I’m not sure what to do. I really need desperate help on the situation. I did a 70%/80% water change when I got back and right now I have no clue of what I should do. PLEASE HELP MEEEE!

C2AB2D35-C6DB-49BC-9E13-DC7B1CC8611B.jpeg

445C15AB-830D-4F3B-90C4-731B6DEF59E2.jpeg

6AC12579-7065-4EAC-B4D8-19C4ABCF753E.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Get that water checked if able. I’d suggest water changes twice a week. Looks like septicemia from poor water quality. I’d add a dose of kanaplex. Keep the water clean.

alohafishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
Get that water checked if able. I’d suggest water changes twice a week. Looks like septicemia from poor water quality. I’d add a dose of kanaplex. Keep the water clean.
Thank you , do you know why his head is floating above the water? I did some research but I can’t seem to find a reason or cure. I think it might be a swimming disorder as he seems to have trouble Swimming to the bottom of the tank

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you , do you know why his head is floating above the water? I did some research but I can’t seem to find a reason or cure. I think it might be a swimming disorder as he seems to have trouble Swimming to the bottom of the tank
Could be from swim bladder or bloat. Which can be from poor water quality.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Gourami's aren't my thing, so I apologize if I am wrong. But I think gourami's are labyrinth fish, meaning they gulp air. If the water quality is bad, its going to gulp more air. I don't think the head out of the water is as scarry for a gourami as it would be for a non labyrinth fish. Its just an indicator of bad water quality. I suspect that as the water quality improves the fish will go back down under the water.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gourami's aren't my thing, so I apologize if I am wrong. But I think gourami's are labyrinth fish, meaning they gulp air. If the water quality is bad, its going to gulp more air. I don't think the head out of the water is as scarry for a gourami as it would be for a non labyrinth fish. Its just an indicator of bad water quality. I suspect that as the water quality improves the fish will go back down under the water.
That too. Just don’t see it gulping in person.

alohafishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
Thanks so much, I’ll keep a close eye on it to make sure!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store