Why do pet stores not sell native fish?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
yea if i can get an orange spot ill donate to u, just share a pair if they breed haha. i know if you watch SC fish keeping he has natives. honestly if you are looking for a colorful fish for a 55+ aquarium in a living room or something, the orange spot sunfish is not far back on the list of most coloful
Yeah they definitely aren't a common fish even in the wild. They often get out competed for nesting spots by bluegill and green sunfish. Lol but yeah ik I got a 80g pond tank in the basement just waiting for a pair.

Reactions: cichlid tank

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
from what i remember you can't sell native fish without specific permits, though I can't remember the specific law for this. Many natives can handle room temperature fine and can color up quite a bit. They are definitely underrated in my opinion.
It depends on the state regulations. In SD here I can sell captive bred fish but not wild caught. So if I get wild caught fish and breed em I can technically sell the offspring but not the parents. Granted tho every state is different on this.

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah they definitely aren't a common fish even in the wild. They often get out competed for nesting spots by bluegill and green sunfish. Lol but yeah ik I got a 80g pond tank in the basement just waiting for a pair.
yeah, i'd fish more in lakes and rivers because who's gonna stock a pond with orangies

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
yes, you need a permit to "collect" or "remove" native species. There are also quantity limits for organizations/individuals with permits or at least in some states.

Some reasons why I believe many native species are not for sale locally:
-If over-collected, the absence of the fish could disrupt/deplete the ecosystem and its other species and plants. They help preserve the food chain and ecosystem of the area. Could also be a tourism component.
- the ability to sell the fish could incentivize local people to deplete the population.
-some fish could be sold to another country for a higher profit.
-overcollecting, reduces the gene pool, leading to less genetic variation among offspring. Especially if fish with certain characteristics have higher demand. Additionally, if only males of a species are collected, this can prevent population growth if males don't reach sexual maturity and cannot reproduce.

not sure if these are valid or not, but just some things I was thinking of.
?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Why do pet stores not sell native fish?
Some do. I've seen here seahorses, inanga, kokopu. I think they're all captive bred, or at least raised from whitebait. I don't think I've seen any bullies, redfin bullies would be great.

Pretty rare though, they're all coldwater and not that colorful. Most people here are too cheap to buy a chiller for coldwater fish. And I guess it's probably cheaper(More fun at least) to go splashing around in a river and catch your own.

Reactions: cichlid tank
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store