Why do pet stores not sell native fish?

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
i was looking for some pikerel to set up a 55 gal native tank with bullhead, a redfin, and some perch

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
i was looking for some pikerel to set up a 55 gal native tank with bullhead, a redfin, and some perch
I like where you’re headed, but a 55 isn’t going to big enough.
Bullhead get 15 to 20+ inch.
I wouldn’t try to house them in nothing less than a 180 myself.

Reactions: twentyleagues

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I like where you’re headed, but a 55 isn’t going to big enough.
Bullhead get 15 to 20+ inch.
I wouldn’t try to house them in nothing less than a 180 myself.
i guess so yea but the black bullhead on RARE occasions get 14" so a 75 could work. the brown bullie and yellow get pretty big, so i agree with you, but the black bullhead grows slowly and over time would need a 75+ but a 55 could work in the meantime. also could do madtoms, they max at around 6"

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Perch are awesome predator fish. They honestly hunt like wolves when fed live food, got to have 3 or more tho to get this out of them. 1 will hide behind a structure in the tank or some plants while the others corral the prey towards him, the moment the prey is in the trap, the prey fish get tagged from all sides in a big feeding frenzy. They're honestly one of the most well calculated hunters when it comes to fresh water fish, never quite seen another fresh water fish specie that uses team work so heavily/effectively.

Lol I had 3 at one point and they adopted a bala shark into their group so whenever they hunted he would follow and eat up the free floating scales they left behind. Think of the perch as farmers eating steak they just made while the bala is that weird kid of theirs that licks their plates clean for em lol.

Last edited:

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Perch are awesome predator fish. They honestly hunt like wolves when fed live food, got to have 3 or more tho to get this out of them. 1 will hide behind a structure in the tank or some plants while the others corral the prey towards him, the moment the prey is in the trap, the prey fish get tagged from all sides in a big feeding frenzy. They're honestly one of the most well calculated hunters when it comes to fresh water fish, never quite seen another fresh water fish specie that uses team work so heavily/effectively.

Lol I had 3 at one point and they adopted a bala shark into their group so whenever they hunted he would follow and eat up the free floating scales they left behind. Think of the perch as farmers eating steak they just made while the bala is that weird kid of theirs that licks their plates clean for em lol.
thats awesome! i catch a lot of perch but i used to never think of them as pets

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
thats awesome! i catch a lot of perch but i used to never think of them as pets
Yeah they make great pets but ya need a decent sized tank for em as they can get 12-16in. But yeah if I was given a choice between red belly piranhas and perch for a co-operative predator fish, I'd go with the perch just because of their unique hunting style. Never seen another fresh water fish that hunts with such intelligence and coordination. If ya ever get a decent sized pond/tank I'd recommend getting some and tossing in some minnows or chubs and just whatch what happens. They are just brutal and ruthless hunters and show the true meaning of the term "predator fish".

Very odd spawning behavior as well, they lay their eggs in this kind of ribbon form and tie it off on plants and rocks to anchor it. I'll try to post a pic of it so ya can see what I mean by ribbon. Got this from Google.

perch-european-perch-redfin-perch-perca-fluviatilis-spawning-shoal-with-egg-string-germany-2B1...jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
i see that. wow! i'd still go with the rbps because i grew up catching them on meat haha nowadays the perch just take my worm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store