BP blood parrot fish (Mango) coloration!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Thanks everyone for your replies, and sorry had been busy.
Thanks much Finwin and Ruturaj for your advise on plants, Well, I dropped a plan for the FH my friend wanted to give me, instead, I introduced a new baby Kamfa (1 inch) and still a fry/baby. Regarding divider, at this age, I don't think they will be able to ramming through, but keeping my eyes on them now. Well, I opened divider after Kamfa settled down for two days. Mango started chasing him, but not much crazily. Mango is bigger than new guest so Mango is trying to harass new guest but Kamfa is swift and not letting Mango to come near him.

Now my worry (well, Parrot and Kamfa keeping together) is accident happens, fins can be nipped off by each other, but my silent observation for 2 hours constant, it doesn't seem to happening, well, we never know. Keeping divider is not great for both of them, 37 gallons is divided in two definite parts which slow growth, and kind of cruel for sure.

As of now, I have two hiding spots, first one is a feet tall artificial plant which have 6-7 big leaves, and a small ornament rock with two holes for hide-out. I am going to put some clay pots (which I like the most and safest options I've experience so far).. Though, nervous about keeping them without divider.

Tomorrow, I will be adding few plants in there, plus, thinking about those live plants.. not sure whether it will be enough for both of them to avoid targeting each other, instead they should get distracted.

Food wise, Mango eats well, also on the third day of Kamfa Mango is allowing Kamfa fry to get to the top to catch some food. No worries there..

Unfortunately, I don't have enough room (as of now) to accommodate 55+ gallons to keep them both for enough growth.

Mango's finnages are erected while looking at Kamfa fry, chase for a second but when Kamfa disappears, Mango gets back to his business.

I'm really confused, to be very frank, for keeping these two guys together, I love them both, Mango is sweet, Kamfa is my love and I couldn't resist Kamfa to order (impulse buy), and he is so gorgeous, pearls on fins, head wrapping pearls, head popping up a little, fair square body, great sunken eyes, fins are proportion, his tail is strong, belly curve is lovely, strong personality at this age, great turquoise (blue and green with pink tint) color, thick pearls.. I mean, sorry, I kept going, but couldn't resist..

Please forgive me for my madness and Please advise.. (I know it's difficult to advise in this situation, but kindly try) :))

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Those fish are gambusia/mosquito fish. Looks like you have 4 females and 2 males.
Thanks much, yes, I wasn't able to identify those little cute babies. They are really gorgeous and they shine silver a lot in light. My 6 years old daughter amazed to see them in our tank and said "Look Papa, these fish were looking very black and dark in that lake, here, they look great!".

Anyway, I introduced them temporarily to "break the ice" with my parrot fish, they helped a lot, parrot fish chased them for 3-4 days and these little fellas removed all his shyness and hesitation during his acclimation process.

Those tiny little fellas are back in the pond from where I got them. They were great visitors and guests, I miss them for sure.!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
I'd be wary of feeding him wild caught minnows.
Thanks, but those fishes were just to break the ice with newly acclimated parrot fish. Parrot fish was just 1.5 inches, and a tiny fella. He was shy for a while, but started chasing those minnows which helped a lot during his acclimation process. Now he is fully interactive personality.

Now all those "guests" are back in the pond from where I got them.. not for feeding for sure :)

And yes, plus, those tiny fellas were cycling the tank which greatly resulted in just 2 days.. helped a lot.

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Chief Tom

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't keep them together, one fish getting bullied is never good and especially bad when it's a expensive and delicate fish.

Reactions: AlphaTintu

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
HI Ruturaj and All, Please see this video of both fish dividing with a mesh net. (was a temporary solution), but as I told before, net is out and they are free.

Ruby's arrival (new Kamfa Flowerhorn after a overnight long haul jorney!)

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
If you have to give up one, I would give up parrot. I am biased towards flowerhorns due to some unique look compared to parrots.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
If you have to give up one, I would give up parrot. I am biased towards flowerhorns due to some unique look compared to parrots.
Yes, RutuRaj bhai. You got it right. It may be parrot, but well, not sure as that parrot I got have very sharp brain :) and super interactive... I will have my daughter decide in this case, as she yells on Parrot saying that "Don't fight with Ruby (FH), and don't chase her, you meany old Mango"... Hahahhaa!!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
By the way, What RutuRaj and others have to say about new Kamfa fry I received? Anything to be taken care of? Please feel free to comment +/- to that fry.

Personally to me, with clean and healthy water, with great care and food, He should be double the size in just 20 days. They grow really fast when they are at this size. I meant super fast. I am expecting following:

1. He may have pinkish color after a month
2. He may have turquoise near dorsal fin
3. His flowerline might totally disappeared
4. He might have a single thick pearl over the head
5. His kok might be proportion to his body until 4 inches
6. Kok can grow well after 4 inches
7. His tail will have full pearls
8. His lips will be red'ish color
9. Eyes will be orange rather than pure red
10. Jaw line will be thick.

Just all assumption, more expectations...

Let's see!! :))

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store