Polypterus retropinnis [reportedly] bred in captivity!

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
First reported breeding of the Zaire Green Bichir (Polypterus retropinnis). 5-6cm.

The article (from August 11th 2020) is quoted as saying:
"I think it's surprisingly rare that [captive bred] individuals don't come very often."
Suggesting that they may have been bred before this.

The specimen pictured below has the classic posterior set dorsal spines of P. retropinnis, along with the same finlet meristics. The markings are also comparable to what you might expect from a P. retropinnis of this size. The head shape looks similar to P. senegalus, but it's worth mentioning that this head shape appears to be basal to all (or most) extant upper jaws during development; changing as they grow.

Very exciting if this a captive bred specimen.

I have some doubts of it being a wild caught P. retropinnis, as my own experience speaking to fishermen in these regions, is that they do not (and frequently can not) collect Polypterus under 10-15cm.

1597282828_4232865 (1).jpg

Source: http://a-uoriki.com/news/index.php?...7LyegB3bCqmPlWSJ406eX1IQAxrmvIN5as8ciH1S6PX38
Spotter: giseok jung giseok jung

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
actually, their spawning was reported almost 10 years ago, but it's first time to see actual f1 for me
Have you got any reference links? I heard something similar, although nobody could verify. Around 10 years ago, was the height of when P. retropinnis was getting misidentified for P. mokelembembe and P. palmas "Buettikoferi", so for me, it puts it into question further. The photo above is the most verifiable evidence I've seen of their spawning to date, but if an earlier spawning is true, that's even better!

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Have you got any reference links? I heard something similar, although nobody could verify. Around 10 years ago, was the height of when P. retropinnis was getting misidentified for P. mokelembembe and P. palmas "Buettikoferi", so for me, it puts it into question further. The photo above is the most verifiable evidence I've seen of their spawning to date, but if an earlier spawning is true, that's even better!
Yes, retro was called as moke back than.
I don't have any photo back than but i saw it with my bare eyes from my friend's tank who start breed polypterus much earlier than me.

Maybe soon as i get adult pair of retro, i can post some shota of their eggs shortly

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Yes, retro was called as moke back than.
I don't have any photo back than but i saw it with my bare eyes from my friend's tank who start breed polypterus much earlier than me.

Maybe soon as i get adult pair of retro, i can post some shota of their eggs shortly
Do you have an exact year? I'd like to make an amend to some text.

All the best mate

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store