How to get rid of cyanobacteria? Is it harmful to fish?

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Yes I believe it is the same stuff.
Because it is made for large septic systems (not for small aquariums), I started out experimenting with just a Tbsp in a filter sock per month.
It doesn't really an overdose situation in that way, like with a med, that small amount just encourages a competitive form of bacteria to outcompetes the Cyano.
And its not something that out right kills the Cyano, such as an algaecide, because in that situation it just comes back due to the circumstances that allowed it to begin in the first place. its use continues to outcompete.
By using a competitive bacterial population, it not only eliminates Cyano, but that population of good bacteria continues to prevent it from coming back later.
Makes sense. Thank you so much for that, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I was reading the link you provided and the added benefits sound very interesting.

Depending on how it goes, I might end up incorporating it as part of my maintenance (maybe once a year or so) to keep my filtration system clean and what not. The thought of that reducing build up in my filtration lines without having to do that manually sounds amazing!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It comes as a powder, kind of like flour.
I put a Tbsp in a filter sock so it wouldn't spread all over and cloud the tank.
After a couple days, i figured the bacteria had dispersed, and removed and cleaned out the sock ( bacteria are so small they pass thru it).
Took about 4 to 6 weeks to outcompete the Cyano.

Reactions: Galactik

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Let me add this. I found out about the RID-X method after doing the hard work of cleaning my tanks. Just wanted you to know I had not tried the RID-X and it had failed. Good luck.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good advice so far. I usually siphon it off using airline, if it's on plants. On surfaces I use a larger siphon and a razor blade scraper to dislodge it (often sloughs in sheets) and vacuum it immediately. Good luck!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Good advice so far. I usually siphon it off using airline, if it's on plants. On surfaces I use a larger siphon and a razor blade scraper to dislodge it (often sloughs in sheets) and vacuum it immediately. Good luck!
Hello; The coming off in sheets is the way it was for me also. I tried the method you describe many times. The stuff would come back. What I observed was some of the algae would break off from the rest and it would be tiny particles floating around in the water. The particles would be like green threads maybe a 1/4 inch or so long. I began to figure these floating bit would settle and soon enough the algae would be forming sheets.
I tried using a siphon which worked on a lot of it but not all. Likely was when I rubbed it off the live plants that the string bits came loose.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Google tells me that it can be caused by insufficient Nitrogen/Nitrate:
my filter's an 8Gal drum of bamboo charcoal (1/2 old, 1/2 new) and sponge, so I'm wondering if it's doing too good a job?

I know it's overlit, so big vac & reducing light starting today. Also adding more plants from pond & more pond&ramshorn snails; SD's Xmas breakfast, lucky devils.
Checking local hardwares for RidEx/septic additives.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Update note: finally found a locally-available version of RidX, spent a month Q&A'ing & researching to make sure it was fish-safe. Turns-out it's just bacterial & regularly used in aquacultrue & professional aquaria including to kickstart BB/filtration. These are the guys: custombio.com, ask for Charles. Lovely fellow.
I can't vouch personally, though - in the end I didn't get a chance to try it, nor even order it:

Vac & water-changes + a filter-wash, the stuff did it's usual expanding scum thing within a couple of hours...
Tweaked lighting from ~14hrs/day down to ~10.
Overloaded with ramshorns & more added plants... SDs were happy with these.
Maybe 2-weeks/ten days ago I had a few almond leaves on-hand, so threw one in.
Noticed on Friday that the Cyanobacteria's totally gone. It may just have aged-out, or the filtration BB came on-stream fully, or the quiet anti-bacterial capacities of the leaf. Wife's happy either way, fish never really seemed to care...

Reactions: Galactik

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
For me it worked short term but it kept coming back with a vengeance. I eventually had to get chemiclean and so far its not coming back.

What I did notice was a big reduction in detritus in the filters and even clearer water (no particulates). I'm thinking of using the rest as part of my maintenance every couple of months.

Reactions: fishguy1978

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store