How to get rid of cyanobacteria? Is it harmful to fish?

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
That sounds like the opposite of my tank and yet, I have it ?

I’m thinking lighting is my prob. Is the actual bacteria dangerous?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That sounds like the opposite of my tank and yet, I have it ?

I’m thinking lighting is my prob. Is the actual bacteria dangerous?
Not to fish or humans unless you intend on eating it. Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest life forms on the planet. It doesn't actually need light to survive. It can live off of phosphates which is why it's so hard to remove once it's got a foot hold. Typically it gets it's start in a tank because that tank has the right conditions excessive nutrients and low or no flow spots. I have battled it a few times and every time the phosphates were what was allowing it to continue to come back. Standard liquid tests are not accurate enough to really detect the phosphate levels, I used a hannah meters to get accurate readings. When I was able to read phosphates at the 0.000 levels and act accordingly I was able to keep it away. Note that was a salt water system with lots of expensive corals. I have well water now and no salt tanks I have had it pop up in at least 2 tanks here now though and increased flow and maintenance along with the use of rid-x has kept it away. My water has very high tds and in low flow situations is a perfect environment to allow cyano to prosper.

Reactions: Matthew1626

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I am dealing with it now as well chemiclean is good at getting rid of the green slime but it is so hard to get chemiclean in the uk I have increased flow in my tank to try to get rid of .If you have plants it can smother then and eventually kill them.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store