help aro not eatin

Aston

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2021
i did a %20 waterchange however my arowana refuse to eat afterwards, it alr has been a week since i last changed the water but it still refuses to eat. Can anyone helpsolve my issue
ph:6
Temp:30.2degree celcius
Proper mechanical and biological filtration

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What’s ur nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? Is ur ph always stable at 6? What were u feeding prior? Tankamtes? Size of aro and tank?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i did a %20 waterchange however my arowana refuse to eat afterwards, it alr has been a week since i last changed the water but it still refuses to eat. Can anyone helpsolve my issue
ph:6
Temp:30.2degree celcius
Proper mechanical and biological filtration
Welcome aboard
How long have you had the Arowana?

BreezyEcho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2021
Your water hardness? From my experience you also should concern your water hardness (KH&GH), if you're using tap water, try to add anti chlorine(in case your tap water having much chlorine) and add peat moss in your filter to make it softer(since my tap water KH around 120, GH above 250).
Some pic might also help us to give some suggestions. ?

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
We dont have alot of information to work with, but there are two reasons why the aro isnt eating.

1. He isnt eating because he is stressed (tank conditions are not appropriate ie. he has outgrown his current tank, you dont have proper filter and water quality is bad, he is getting sick from this)

2. IF your tank conditions are fine, and he has enough space, quality water etc. then it might be simply that he isnt hungry. Arowanas are known sometimes to do this. The longest my Aro didnt want to eat for was almost 3 weeks at one point, and he was perfectly fine. Then he gets hungry and eats normally for a while until he goes on a little fast again. From my limited experience with Arowana, it seems to me they go through phases of eating and then fasting. for varying lengths of time. In the wild they dont have set meal times, I feed only when he is hungry and asks for food.

Please note I am talking about my experience with Asian and Jardini Arowana. I dont know if Silvers do the same (we dont even know what type of arowana you have yet).

Could you please give us some more details so we can help you answer your question better?

What kind of filtration do you have?
What size is your tank?

Reactions: deeda

BreezyEcho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2021
Try to give us as detailed information as possible(as what they mention above), also try to get some tester kit/strips if you're keeping fishes especially if you own majestic fishes such as arowanas.
So if you have any problem, people in this forum can help you out. ?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
If tank conditions are good then he might just be on a hunger strike. My Asian aro went on a hunger strike for 2 months only eating a tiger barb during that period LOL

Reactions: AaronKWolfe
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store