Our 2 foot, 5 year old wyckii

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We have had this bacterial problem with way too many fish since 2018. I've become firmly convinced of the need for UV sanitization of water. I am considering this in earnest, especially now, having lost so many precious, show kind and size fish. A turn key UV system would be $10K-$20. As a DIY, we might get away with several thousand $. Up until now, we have not used UV sanitization on our water.

The bacterial killer lives in our tanks+15K filter system and I am pretty sure it came with other fish, most likely in 2018 with the walking catfish from the wild, who were undertreated in QT. The 26K system of the two 4500's, one 1800, and the 15K sump hosts the majority of larger rescue fish that come and go. No surprise, with my lazy man QT procedures, that we have been losing precious, rare fish (while most of the cheap and hardy fish remain ok). But most of all since 2018. Until then, it had been far better. As for the what kind of bacteria, I am not saying it was the columnaris or only columnaris or that the columnaris was the primary cause, not secondary or tertiary. Some fish we have lost in 2018 and since then showed symptoms consistent with columnaris and some didn't. Columnaris is a complex animal and has several known strains, acting quite differently.

My gut feeling says reason #1 is that the wyckii was sickened and killed by a dangerous bacteria. A less likely reason is dirty 15K sump and as a result a high bacterial count in water column, but after I cleaned the 15K sump thoroughly twice over one year, there was no improvement whatsoever. Thus, I am inclined to discard this as the primary cause. A compounding factor it may be. I have planned to make a rearrangement in the sump, take out half the shade cloth media to make the hiding of detritus and bacteria harder and the vacuuming of the sump easier and faster and will continue cleaning the sump more frequently.

100_9959.JPG100_9960.JPG100_9961.JPG100_9962.JPG100_9963.JPG100_9964.JPG100_9965.JPG

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
A pragmatic method of determining UV filtration benefit might be to beg - borrow - steal a smaller more economical UV unit and treat declining fish in a smaller isolated tank. If fish improves, a bigger UV for your larger systems is likely to be useful. If fish dies, UV may not be so useful or might have been added too late. ....

Pity about the devil catfish but they are very territorial. They are being hormone induced many places now including albino variant.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
sorry for your loss Viktor -

in adding to the UV set up cost the electric doubled sadly here - only have maybe 500w of UV i can only imagine how much 5000W would be -

you could start adding them inline as you have funds - i can’t even fathom what kind of pump you have there for your 50k gallons ??‍♂

maybe solar panels there?

you think about a go fund me for your reduce? FB loves a good cause

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you. I am toying with an idea of just sinking submersible 4ft or 5ft UV lamps right in our 15K gal sump.

If I could direct all the flow into a 4" pipe (on paper; in reality this is impossible), then I could get away with 3x 300W, 5ft amalgam UV lamps, according to KedDragon's kendragon kendragon kind calculation: post #24 https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/is-this-koi-lymphocystis.710587/page-3

But our flow in this system (25,000 gal of water) is 52,000 gallons per hour, yes, per hour, no way can be fitted into a 4" pipe. It comes out of 5x 4" drain pipes and 2x 2" pipes in one corner of the 15K sump. This is where I am thinking of submersing the UV lamps. The UV light fluence / density will be 10x less than in Ken's calculation, so I may need to sink 10 lamps. Just eyeballing for now. No calculation yet.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Rip. So sorry for your loss ?

And to think how nervewracked I was over dosing a 110 liter with whitespot medication, lol. Good luck with those UVs and their bank breaking costs.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
You may want to consider an open channel UV.
Chambered UVs are pressurized. Open channel are not. The electrical connection can be above water saving cost in waterproofing.
UV will not cure sick fish due to the fact that the pathogen must pass through the light to be killed. UV is merely treating the water. With that said, water should be channeled through the UV to be effective and efficient. UV stable material near the light should be considered to prevent damage to the sump.

open channel uv.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Yikes thats massive amounts of water to figure out the logistics! Very sorry about the loss of this one.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Very sorry for your loss Victor.
The Wykii I would have considered one of the more hardy fish in there so to see that go is concerning and upsetting.

One thing that has struck me. You are one of very few folks that have the opportunity to interact so well with their fish. Ie. Have tanks big enough to get in and swim with them.
You don’t have correlation between being in the tank and fish loss or loss of health do you?
I assume you ensure your not wearing deodorant sprays or roll on or washing in fragranced soap prior to getting in, or even wearing shorts that have been washed with conditioner.
All could be effecting your fish even in the huge volumes of water you have.
Just a thought.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter sorry for your loss. What a solid cat that is.

They do get to 4ft. Biggest wyckii caught that I know of is 21kg. Biggest with picture is 18kg. 4kg wyckii around 28-30"
I forgot to update my find, 21kg monster

IMG_20220109_202923.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store