Our 2 foot, 5 year old wyckii

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Whilst it does look like it, it’s hard to fully confirm from that photo that it is actually a Wykii and not one of the other larger hemibagrus. Noting that whilst the tail may look to have a whitish marks from that view, the dorsal doesn’t (although some do loose that colouring).

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Whilst it does look like it, it’s hard to fully confirm from that photo that it is actually a Wykii and not one of the other larger hemibagrus. Noting that whilst the tail may look to have a whitish marks from that view, the dorsal doesn’t (although some do loose that colouring).
Well, you're the expert.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A pragmatic method of determining UV filtration benefit might be to beg - borrow - steal a smaller more economical UV unit and treat declining fish in a smaller isolated tank. If fish improves, a bigger UV for your larger systems is likely to be useful. If fish dies, UV may not be so useful or might have been added too late.
Thank you. We do have a $400 UV unit, 2", 4ft, bulb is 40W but probably a much stronger one can be installed too, ... that should be more than plenty for one 240 gal tank. So in theory, I could test this theory.

In reality, I am not inclined. I am told by experts, you and Ken Dragon included, that UV is more or less a must anyway. I might as well focus my efforts on installing the UV treatment on the most troublesome system of 15K sump + 2x 4500's + 1800 + prospective 10,000. Like you taught me, I might be able to get away with DIY - several thousand $$$, maybe no more than $5,000 in purchase cost.

... i can’t even fathom what kind of pump you have there for your 50k gallons ??‍♂

maybe solar panels there?

you think about a go fund me for your reduce? FB loves a good cause
Thank you.

Pumps are 8x 5,000 GPH at our 7ft head = 40,000 GPH, and 2x 6,000 GPH at our 7ft head = 12,000 GPH; = 52K GPH. When 10K gets on line, it is planned to have 20,000-40,000 GPH. So the total flow will be 70,000-90,000 GPH just on that system of sump and 4 tanks.

Installing solar panels requires prohibitively large initial capital investment and the break even point is way too distant, used to be 30 years, now it is around 10 years - still too far for poor people. We're poor but we have no debt and wanna keep it that way.

Anyone can donate to us - under each video are a couple of ways, plus the website describes any number of ways. We have arranged these ways upon advice and request ... but on our own initiative / championing we are not asking for free money and don't plan to. My wife and I were raised to not ask for money but earn with our own labor everything we need and not wish for anything we can't earn or afford.

You may want to consider an open channel UV.
Chambered UVs are pressurized. Open channel are not. The electrical connection can be above water saving cost in waterproofing... ...water should be channeled through the UV to be effective and efficient. UV stable material near the light should be considered to prevent damage to the sump.
Thank you so much Ken. Yes, I am pondering a more or less related approach. No pipes. No pressure. I can sink the array of UV lamps inside a 500 gal plastic barrel / tank into which all the water drains from all the tanks, or not bother with the barrel and just set the array directly under the pouring draining water flow.

Do you think the UV will damage the sump liner over time? I thought the pathway of the UV light is exceedingly short and the intensity decreases exponentially away from lamp, so the liner even at 2-3 feet away will essentially not get any UV exposure.

Very sorry for your loss Victor.
The Wykii I would have considered one of the more hardy fish in there so to see that go is concerning and upsetting.

One thing that has struck me. You are one of very few folks that have the opportunity to interact so well with their fish. Ie. Have tanks big enough to get in and swim with them.
You don’t have correlation between being in the tank and fish loss or loss of health do you?
I assume you ensure your not wearing deodorant sprays or roll on or washing in fragranced soap prior to getting in, or even wearing shorts that have been washed with conditioner.
All could be effecting your fish even in the huge volumes of water you have.
Just a thought.
Thank you, Dave. It appears the pathogen we have has a thing for Hemibagrus. We lost our 5 yo 34" Asian RTC a couple years ago too in the same tank.

Good troubleshooting but no, no correlation whatsoever. Yes, I pay attention that I bring nothing into the water on my person and on my clothing when I go inside. Just as a precaution.

I forgot to update my find, 21kg monster

View attachment 1484374
Super find!! Thank you so much. The shape of the head and snout threw me off but I sure its just me. Dave knows wyckii exceedingly well and you too, so I trust you guys. This is amazing that wyckii can get up to 4 feet!!!

Reactions: dr exum

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Forgot to mention my thoughts on size, but I'm shocked too! Always heard black devils got to 71 cm, not 122 cm.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Super find!! Thank you so much. The shape of the head and snout threw me off but I sure its just me. Dave knows wyckii exceedingly well and you too, so I trust you guys. This is amazing that wyckii can get up to 4 feet!!!
Whilst I don’t profess to be an expert, for me that’s one of the reasons that photo alone to me still doesn’t prove it. The eyes don’t look right and the snout is too rounded in both directions for a straight Wyckii. But, to get to that size we are looking at a very old fish and we don’t know how the shape may change over such a long time.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 would you mind if I post the photograph you found on Planet Catfish for the ID confirmation?

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021
Hi guys. A little unrelated but whats the different between Wyckioides and Maydelli. I'm researching about big bagrids get caught in Southeast Asia with a wyckioides body and size but no red tails and have white stripes in caudal fin. Could it be Maydelli ? The fish weights a shockingly 86kg !

Also i want to confirm about the biggest bagrid catfish in southeast asia. This pair of fish is insanely huge and i want to identify it. the bigger one is 192 kg and the smaller is 105kg1642062052473.png

there are several more reports on giant bagrid but this two is one of the biggest

Last edited:
Reactions: fishhead0103666

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I believe they are holding two Hemibagrus maydelli, about 5-6 feet long and 40-50 kg each.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021
those def are Sperata or h.microphthalmus. Not maydelli the coloration of h.Maydelli is not quite true and the dorsal fin is different
. Those really resembles sperata seenghala. Also they maybe just oversized the fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store