Toys for Botia loaches

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
By doing a little thinking outside the box today when it came to feeding my clown loaches, I believe I found a way to make toys out of shellfish for them. What happened is as follows:

-I gave them their mussel feeding on the shell (adductor muscle and some extra flesh) instead of the usual chopped and cut off the shell. They seemed to very much like carrying around the piece of shell and trying to tear the meat off, all showing much more interest in trying to take the food from a fellow loach than with the usual chopped and shell-less meat.

-Once they ate all the meat, I left the shell in the tank, unsure of what to do with it. There was occasional nudging at it, with overall low interest compared to when it had meat on it.

-I then got the idea to half-bury it in the sand, which had them try to dig it up with moderate to high interest.

-Once they dug it up, I took it out, dried it off, and buried it in their tin of pellet food for an overnight 'marinade', the results of which are to be reported tomorrow. I suspect that when I put it back in the morning, the pellet scent will have them very interested in playing with it.

This could work with a number of other shellfish species too (like clams, scallops, crab, crayfish, lobster, or shelled prawns). And I would also expect it to work for other Botia (I'll try it on the 3 Botia species planned for my 2nd 473 liter when I get them and report back here with the results), hence the title.

The Botia get toys and enrichment (including with their meals) while the owner gets a fantastic display. I recommend doing this to every Botia owner.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
-Once they dug it up, I took it out, dried it off, and buried it in their tin of pellet food for an overnight 'marinade', the results of which are to be reported tomorrow. I suspect that when I put it back in the morning, the pellet scent will have them very interested in playing with it.
Looks like I suspected correctly. Very high interest was shown for the pellet scented mussel shell, with all the loaches trying to dig it out and nuzzle it around.
I consider this a successful round of enrichment/playtime for my loaches.

Reactions: Midwater

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Just came up with a brand new idea. Take a mussel shell, put pieces of mussel meat and/or pellets on it, put unflavored gelatin in the shell, let it set, and give it to the loaches.
They get to not only play with the shell, but to dig through the gelatin to get their food. The latter part in particular seems as if it would increase their enrichment compared to if the gel was say Repashy instead of unflavored, since it gives them more to do and hence more enrichment (unlike the Repashy where they could eat without the extra digging).

Anyone else done this or something like it? Would love to hear the results if you did before I try it.

Last edited:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Maybe when they are larger, but they are not large enough now. I tried that before I joined here, even with the mussel sliced while it was still on the shell, and it didn't work out well.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
New session of playtime/enrichment for them today. I played around a bit with the original 'throw in the adductor muscle still on the shell' and found some new ways for them to have fun.

-Bury almost the entire mussel shell in the sand, with only a small amount of the adductor muscle sticking out. This forces them to work for their food by digging it up, similar to what I did with the first piece of shell.
-Once they get the idea of that, bury the shell halfway with the meat part buried. This proved more of a challenge to dig out.
-Finally, put the shell upside down so the loaches have to flip it to get at the meat. This was also a challenge.

What with all the challenges between them and their food, I consider this one of the better enrichments for them.

Reactions: Caveden

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I think really M MultipleTankSyndrome you would prefer to get in the tank and physically play with the loaches yourself.
Yep, haha. If I could shrink and put on a wetsuit, they would have their playtime+clowning around taken to the next level by my joining them ?
Literally would never do things like swimming with dolphins if I could do that.

Do you think you were one on a previous life?
There's no other possible explanation for why I like them so much :p. I have no doubt I was, if only I could remember.....

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Fun idea :)
Alt option along the same lines:
Go to the market & ask the lobster & crab guy what they do with the legs & antennae that fall off and/or otherwise can't be sold - arrange to get' em.
Add to tank cut into segments length-appropriate to the size/species. Clicking gets defening as they get to vacuuming the goodies from the tube.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Excellent idea. I'll have to give it a try.

New toy used yesterday. I put in a cylindrical glass water bottle, and they seemed enriched by trying to get in and out of it, as well as make sense of its transparent walls.
Prior to that, a glass cup that yielded the same. I think glass items are some of the best non-food enrichment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store