What to feed new Mouth Almighty and Datnoid, and Knifefish ID?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Neither have I.
....and now I can kind of see why,I just looked up the name and it turns out that it is an Australian fish,a lot of Australian fish are not widely available in this area.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Mouth almighty are awesome! If you don’t mind saying, how much was it?

With Mouth almighty, you want to provide lots of floating cover/cover towards the top of the tank, then dangle a chunk of prawn or fish straight in front of the mouth.
It was $50; and I have quite a few swords that the Mouth Almighty seems to like hiding among. I tried threading a string through a chunk of frozen silverside and dangled it in front of the Mouth Almighty, and he tried to eat it with great vigor; unfortunately, he spat it out for whatever reason and has been wary of silverside chunks ever since. They're definitely very astute, though- he darted across the entire tank just to investigate a few glittering scales thrown up by the bichir's attack on a large chunk of silverside. Definitely worth getting, if you can find one someday.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
That thinbar dat is live caught out of the Mekhong river or tributary. He only knows what live food is, and you will have a hard time feeding him anything else.

Do you have a supply of ghost shrimp?
I do; my local fish store always has them and my local Petsmart (chain store in the US) also carries them. I was able to get around a dozen, and the datnoid showed great interest and attacked a few of them; unfortunately, the shrimp kept evading his grasp and he hasn't been able to hunt one down and eat one as of yet. I got pretty desperate at that point, and tossed in a small gold tetra from one of my planted tanks in hopes that he'll be able to eat it, but he only showed mild curiosity at the fish and refused to eat it, so I tossed the tetra back with its school. I'm beginning to get worried about him; I don't think he'll be able to survive without food for more than 4 days from now. I could see if I can buy some cherry shrimp from Petco (although I'm not sure if any local ones carry them right now); they're a bit smaller, and the datnoid just might be able to eat one.

On a side note, the Mouth Almighty devoured a ghost shrimp in just about three seconds; it was highly interesting to watch.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I do ... unfortunately, the shrimp kept evading his grasp and he hasn't been able to hunt one down and eat one as of yet.
That does not sound right. Check your water quality, and make sure it is really clean and the right temperature and PH.

A dozen ghost shrimp is nothing. I get half a kilo at a time - a few thousand of them - and it last only a few days.

Don't worry if he has not eaten for a few days, they can fast for quite a long time. And he might only eat at night.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
It was $50; and I have quite a few swords that the Mouth Almighty seems to like hiding among. I tried threading a string through a chunk of frozen silverside and dangled it in front of the Mouth Almighty, and he tried to eat it with great vigor; unfortunately, he spat it out for whatever reason and has been wary of silverside chunks ever since. They're definitely very astute, though- he darted across the entire tank just to investigate a few glittering scales thrown up by the bichir's attack on a large chunk of silverside. Definitely worth getting, if you can find one someday.
I'm actually in the process of purchasing a group to try and breed. Its quite hard but not impossible.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
That does not sound right. Check your water quality, and make sure it is really clean and the right temperature and PH.

A dozen ghost shrimp is nothing. I get half a kilo at a time - a few thousand of them - and it last only a few days.

Don't worry if he has not eaten for a few days, they can fast for quite a long time. And he might only eat at night.
Tested water parameters; I use the API Liquid Test Kit (all bottles expire sometime in 2023-24, and I do shake up the bottles before use), which I have been told is quite reliable, but just to be sure I also used test strips and they showed pretty much the same parameters as those that I have listed in my post. All other fish are doing good and have showed no signs of being disoriented or uninterested in food. I think I may have phrased that sentence wrong; the datnoid was able to grab one shrimp and tried to eat it sideways; the shrimp was far too large to fit in his mouth in that manner and was able to escape. I really doubt the datnoid's ability to be able to actually successfully eat a ghost shrimp; he's barely twice as long as one of them and he always seems to try and attack them from the top, where he's unable to really get a good grip on the shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store