Questions about Brown Ghost knives

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Hi all, Recently I was browsing a fish website and noticed they had some "Golden Ghost Knife fish" in stock, at first I thought it was a morph of a BGK, but the scientific name is that of a Brown Ghost Knife, Apteronotus leptorhynchus
So I have a few questions:
What is their max size?
What is their temperament?
Is a 110g (4x2x2ft) big enough?
Will it fight with my Black Tandan and Crimson Spotted Rainbowfish?
Thanks,

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You really need a photo to confirm exactly what they are, but there have been gold varieties of the fish you mention listed before elsewhere so it is possible that name is correct.
max size is just shy of 12” although I think this is probably on the high side.
a social knife so one of the ones that benefit from being in a group and they have been bred before.
with enough hideouts it shouldn’t bother your tandan. And I would expect your rainbow fish to get too large to be bothered too but no guarantees there. Not kept this species personally so can’t advise on its temperament.

Reactions: Friller2009

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
You really need a photo to confirm exactly what they are, but there have been gold varieties of the fish you mention listed before elsewhere so it is possible that name is correct.
max size is just shy of 12” although I think this is probably on the high side.
a social knife so one of the ones that benefit from being in a group and they have been bred before.
with enough hideouts it shouldn’t bother your tandan. And I would expect your rainbow fish to get too large to be bothered too but no guarantees there. Not kept this species personally so can’t advise on its temperament.
Ok thanks! My concerns was that the knifefish would want to pick on the Catfish because of the similar body shape

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store