Astronotus mikoljiin n.sp., a new Oscar from Venezuela and Colombia

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't keep many cichlids, nor keep up much with new findings on them. But this one caught my attention, and I wanted to share it here. If this has already been mentioned and shared here, then my apologies. I hope somebody will be interested...
Apparently the morphological differences to distinguish the various Astronotus are not easily seen by lay people, and even classical meristic data are of little help. But apparently genetics leaves no doubt of 1) the new species, and 2) the monophyly of the previously known taxa.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 4.35.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-01 at 4.35.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 4.33.46 PM.png

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I had to look up the new nomenclature developments after seeing them on tuic labeled this new moniker. If im reading everything correctly, this may be the same variant we've seen sold for years at retailers as "Orinoco oscar", although I can't confirm this 100%. The fish pictured are certainly beautiful and unique oscars with that subdued pastel coloration and somewhat "lengthened" profile.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Rapps sold them as Orinoco or Venezuelan Oscars.

He had them in 2017, mines a monster like 15" and 3" think

Reactions: decoy50

Kevin@TUIC

Aimara
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member
yup same fish. new official name. All oscars out of Venezuela and Colombia have not been described(until now). so they have correctly been listed by us as Astronotus sp. Orinoco or sp. Venezuela, or cf. ocellatus, and whatever provenance(s) they were collected in within those regions. This is the first of several others that have now been and still yet will be officially described. More on the way ;)

1659466168441.jpeg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
yup same fish. new official name. All oscars out of Venezuela and Colombia have not been described(until now). so they have correctly been listed by us as Astronotus sp. Orinoco or sp. Venezuela, or cf. ocellatus, and whatever provenance(s) they were collected in within those regions. This is the first of several others that have now been and still yet will be officially described. More on the way ;)

View attachment 1500430
Were these the Puerto carrenos you were selling in the spring?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Quite a bit of additional discussion has taken place under this other thread-

Astronotus orbicularis vs. Crassipinis.

In part for that reason, I thought people would be interested in reading these interviews with Oscar Lasso, one of the authors of the paper describing Astronotus mikoljii (parts 1 and 2).
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

“Oscar describes Oscar”: Interview with Oscar Lasso-Alcalá, Pt 2

Oscar Miguel Lasso-Alcalá, MSc. is a Spanish-Venezuelan ichthyologist. This summer, his team described a new species of Oscar fish in the journal ZooKeys.

In this second part of his interview, he tells us about the challenges in his work and shares the story behind the new cichlid’s name.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Part 1 - https://blog.pensoft.net/2022/08/08/oscar-describes-oscar-interview-with-oscar-lasso-alcala-pt-1/

Part 2- https://blog.pensoft.net/2022/08/09/oscar-describes-oscar-interview-with-oscar-lasso-alcala-pt-2/

Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store