Pseudopimelodidae I.D.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Got this guy today from Predatory Fins. Supposed to be a Lophiosilurus Fowleri but I don't think it is. So, I was wondering if anyone could confirm or render an educated guess based on this pic they sent me. And one belly pic I took. Apologies, for the pic's low quality. Yellowcat Yellowcat and of course anyone else who knows how to ID little Pseudopimelodidae as this guy is just over 2 inches.
1F983B6E-3202-453C-AB63-7C09BD191302.jpeg
263DA875-D391-4BF8-B60A-AC78B5762472.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Got this guy today from Predatory Fins. Supposed to be a Lophiosilurus Fowleri but I don't think it is. So, I was wondering if anyone could confirm or render an educated guess based on this pic they sent me. And one belly pic I took. Apologies, for the pic's low quality. Yellowcat Yellowcat and of course anyone else who knows how to ID little Pseudopimelodidae as this guy is just over 2 inches.
View attachment 1502205
View attachment 1502206
It has the color pattern like the Amazon Bumblebee catfish.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave
wednesday13 wednesday13
Yellowcat Yellowcat

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
It has the color pattern like the Amazon Bumblebee catfish.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave
wednesday13 wednesday13
Yellowcat Yellowcat
Thanks tlindsey tlindsey ! Can I ask though what do you mean by Amazon Bumblebee catfish? Do you mean Pseudopimelodus Bufonius? Coloration is so dark I was thinking Batrochoglanis raninus(or is that what you meant by Amazon Bumblee?) but the head size in relation to the body made me think it might be something else. Then again, the strong serration on the pectoral fins would seem to lead back to the Raninus. Which would suck for me. Lol Not that it's a bad fish but it would definitely not be anythhing along the lines of what I was hoping for.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks tlindsey tlindsey ! Can I ask though what do you mean by Amazon Bumblebee catfish? Do you mean Pseudopimelodus Bufonius? Coloration is so dark I was thinking Batrochoglanis raninus(or is that what you meant by Amazon Bumblee?) but the head size in relation to the body made me think it might be something else. Then again, the strong serration on the pectoral fins would seem to lead back to the Raninus. Which would suck for me. Lol Not that it's a bad fish but it would definitely not be anythhing along the lines of what I was hoping for.
I don't have too much experience on catfish species just resembles a bumblebee catfish to me.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I don't have too much experience on catfish species just resembles a bumblebee catfish to me.
It's cool. Thank you so much tlindsey tlindsey for the guess and the shout out to some other members who could help.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Shame… i thought p fins was getting better with i.d’s… exotic fish shop has these right now. Another “mystery” i.d. vendor but if this is whats “floating around” right now as “jellys” id say its the same. Ive see a cple more places have them recently also. Must be in season.
8DF0192E-BBCB-42C7-B41D-498DD8BB57E2.jpeg3D03FB3C-BE08-4EA2-AF8F-1755820FAFED.jpeg

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
It's Batrochoglanis raninus.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Bummer, man. As I and others suspected about the question of it being a L. Fowleri, turns out our suspicions were right. I believe I mentioned on my other post on here that the pictures shown by the vendor were old, (of two different species) not of the actual fish for sale and from other sources. Seeing the fish, it's not even close to looking like a fowleri or apurensis. I have never gotten any from that place and Never will! There was a bunch of drama here a couple of years ago about a guy who got fish from there and was greatly disappointed as the fish arrived sick and badly beat up and how he felt he should be compensated by virtue of being sent another fish or a refund, that was refused and he was given the run around. Sorry to say, the price was too high for what's the most commonly imported batrochoglanis species, you can find them on eBay too. As was pointed out, the same species is available from Exotic Fish Shop, an excellent vendor and a great guy to deal with, from my experience! I hate to say it but your new fish looks kind of beat up, they're tough fish and it will likely heal up and survive. Otherwise , the good news is that B. Raninus eat most anything, grows slowly to around 6" or so, and if I recall will get along with their own kind but as always, a predator species that needs to be kept with other fish too big to eat...

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Shame… i thought p fins was getting better with i.d’s… exotic fish shop has these right now. Another “mystery” i.d. vendor but if this is whats “floating around” right now as “jellys” id say its the same. Ive see a cple more places have them recently also. Must be in season.
Thank you so much wednesday13 wednesday13 ! Really disappointing as they are so commonly available, and I never picked one up as it just wasn't what I was looking for. I had thought they had been getting better as well and with all the rare fish they had been getting lately I was hoping I guess beyond reasonably that it might be a actual Fowleri. I was waiting on Mikepugman thread on his that he told Viktor he'd be making after buying one but he hasn't posted one and when I found out Pfins had only 3 left I took a chance and it as can be seen didn't go well at all.

Looks more like batrochoglanis sp.
Thanks kno4te kno4te for the help with the ID. Much appreciated.

It's Batrochoglanis raninus.

Bummer, man. As I and others suspected about the question of it being a L. Fowleri, turns out our suspicions were right. I believe I mentioned on my other post on here that the pictures shown by the vendor were old, (of two different species) not of the actual fish for sale and from other sources. Seeing the fish, it's not even close to looking like a fowleri or apurensis. I have never gotten any from that place and Never will! There was a bunch of drama here a couple of years ago about a guy who got fish from there and was greatly disappointed as the fish arrived sick and badly beat up and how he felt he should be compensated by virtue of being sent another fish or a refund, that was refused and he was given the run around. Sorry to say, the price was too high for what's the most commonly imported batrochoglanis species, you can find them on eBay too. As was pointed out, the same species is available from Exotic Fish Shop, an excellent vendor and a great guy to deal with, from my experience! I hate to say it but your new fish looks kind of beat up, they're tough fish and it will likely heal up and survive. Otherwise , the good news is that B. Raninus eat most anything, grows slowly to around 6" or so, and if I recall will get along with their own kind but as always, a predator species that needs to be kept with other fish too big to eat...
Totally. I guess to some degree I fooled myself. My first real monster as I've said was a Apurensis and I loved him and always thought I'd like the coloration on a Fowleri so I had really hoped Predatory actually had them. I had guessed Raninus too but was hoping beyond hope I was wrong. lol

I have bought from Predatory in the past but not often. I watch his youtube and to be as polite as I can think of as possible it's not always very confidence inspiring. Still, they have gotten some very rarely available or imported fish including my 2 Franciscodoras Marmoratus from them. But I have definitely seen their incorrect ID's. Someone had posted on here about Predatory selling Lithodoras Dorsalis a long while ago and the pic Predatory had of the actual stock looked like Platydoras sp. Maroni. I informed the poster, but they took a chance and unfortunately it did indeed wind-up being Maroni. Predatory did eventually get Lithos but that doesn't help the poor guy who got stuck with a Maroni. Between that and Predatory recent uses of other peoples pics to represent what they have instead of their own pics of their stock is making me even more hesitant to buy from them. I did send them a email and I guess I will let everyone know the end result but I am not feeling very hopeful.

Again thank you guys for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store